Question regarding hauling hot mix asphalt.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PDC, Mar 2, 2018.

1. PDC

PDC Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2018
    New to this board and hauling in general. Looking to become a hired hauler in PA and the first plant I spoke with asked if I had a heated dump bed. Being new to this I inquired what they were speaking about. The truck I have, I am fairly certain does not have this. The person in the dispatch group said to line the bed and tail with plywood. What are some recommendation on how to insulate/heat a dump bed?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    I’ve hauled hot mix and that’s a new one on me.
    Since air temp has to be 75* and rising min that shouldn’t be an issue. Are you hauling it a long way away?

PDC Thanks this.
  4. PDC

PDC Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Wont be that warm in PA for a while..... Not hauling great distances. Mostly within 50ish miles of plant. The person I spoke with mentioned lining the bed with plywood.

5. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Right. See, Thats why I said that’s a new one on me. 75* and rising is the rule otherwise the mix cools to fast while they are working it.
    Waiting to see what someone else has to say about it. This is interesting and even though I’m out of the dirt now, im always interested in learning something new.

PDC Thanks this.
  6. skytrash

skytrash Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    denton , tx
    when I was hauling it, the plant wouldn't make it unless the ambient temp was over 42 degrees.

PDC and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Line your bed with plywood? That's a new one, for me anyway.
    Wouldn't the mix stick to the plywood just the way it sticks to metal if it's too cold?
    Go to the plant and look at some of those plywood lined trucks. That should tell you something.

Tb0n3 and PDC Thank this.
  8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    A truck with a heated dump body has a box built on to the exhaust stack.
    When the body is down and the flapper on the exhaust box is set to body heat the exhaust is directed thru passages in the dump body and then exits out the back by the upper side of the tail gate.
    If you look at a lot of dump trucks in the north east and pay attention you will see what I mean.

shanman, Tb0n3, Socal Xpress and 6 others Thank this.
  9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I am in Pennsylvania also and this will be my first year hauling for myself.

The heated bed helps to keep the asphalt hot longer. On jobs where they are Paving roads, there are inspectors there and they make certain the temperature is correct and the compaction is correct, Etc. If the temperature is cold where you are, I could see them being concerned about that.

But in the summertime there should be no problem with any of that.

The plywood is an old truckers trick. If you line the truck with plywood it helps to keep the load warm rather than having the asphalt directly against the cold steel.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    PDC Thanks this.
  10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I believe that the Idaho Transportation Department requires 40* and rising before allowing paving on state/U.S. highways.

PDC Thanks this.
  11. PDC

PDC Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Thanks for all the replies here!! From what I can tell thus far is that there are three basic options - 1) Plywood, 2) exhaust diversion system and 3) liners. Still have to research what options 2 & 3 cost. If going with the plywood option any recommendations on what to use to make it non stick for the asphalt?

I would imagine the plywood play here is the least expensive upfront but will not last as long and would require more cleaning and application of a non stick substance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.