Question regarding logging

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by CflTeam, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Redwave

Redwave Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North Georgia
    Carrying a load or not carrying a load

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Mike_MD made post a while back saying pulling an empty trailer is unladen unless your are delivering the trailer . No bill of lading means unladen .
    Now on personal use of the vehicle Roadmedic can confirm that you can be taxed for personal use of your employer's vehicle . Employers are supposed to send drivers a form where the driver breaks down percentage of miles used for business , commuting , and personal use .

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    That is one officers opinion of the unladen. It is not something I would want to test very often.

Personal use of a vehicle such as these trucks is not a factor in IRS issues as of now. When you look at a vehicle that rolls 3500 miles a week and maybe gets 10 miles personal use a week, it is immaterial.

5. Kristolf

Kristolf Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2010
    London, OH
    My co-driver has 18 years as an Owner/Operator with a straight truck. We first ran together as rookies in '92, for what was then Roberts Express, now FedEx Custom Critical. She stayed with them for 15 years. We've run together for Tri-State the last few years. She/we have never had an issue with going where we want, excepting some places marked "no trucks" (including some places that people shake their heads over), when time allows. Laden = Loaded, for a straight truck. In the expediting business it's pretty rare that you'll have "spare time" when you're loaded, but it does happen. FedEx Custom critical used to have us fill out mileage reports, with an allowance for "personal miles", but they don't do that any more. Safest, as a team, to just make sure you log appropriate sleeper- or off duty-time, as if you never leave the truck. If you're not hauling freight, your company shouldn't mind much about where you go with your truck, as long as you meet your availability criteria. Typically, we claim it's an RV when it's not loaded, and have been known to take advantage of RV spaces a lot. Got pics of our 1st truck in front of Biltmore Estate, and can tell you where to park at Myrle Beach, Daytona, ... We may be a bit too much like tourists, some times, but we like it. *Chuckle* Oh, and as most companies track your "taxable road miles" with the Qualcomm, it all comes out as taxable miles in the end. As Roadmedic said... those handful of extra miles turn out rather immaterial.

6. dle

dle Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2010
    ennis,tx
    At Panther if you try to use Line 5 (off duty driving) while you are under a load you will be put on line 4. You are considered under a load if you have accepted a load.

Each driver is allowed 1/2 hour during an 8 hour period. So when you are a team one driver drives 1/2 hour to where you want to go, then the other driver drives back.

You also must have sufficient hours on your clocks to use the line 5.

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Laden simply means under load or loaded. Not Rocket science, don't make it difficult.

8. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    that sounds like they made up their own HOS..../

9. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    I don't know. It may have just been the DOT that pulled me over but didn't say anything about logging off duty while pulling a trailer home from New Orlean's to Shreveport even after a full day's work. Only stopped me because of a flickering tail light which was a quik fix. Plug was loose. Said have a good night and a safe ride home and let me go.

10. dmag

dmag Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    charlotte,nc
    Panther does make up their own rules there is on line5

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.