Question regarding Open Road driver plan.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by brinkj23, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Just curious if this open road driver plan has the authority to put your license on hold with the dot? I got an overweight ticket in SD like 3 years ago, open road paid the ticket at the scale house and went on my way. They wanted to go to court for me but I didn't see the need to go to court an just ignored the letters saying they wanted me to go to sd to go to the court case. Well after a lot of time went by and lots of crap happened at home I forgot about the ticket and guess I wasn't aware that I owed them the 200 bucks for the ticket still. Got a kind of mean call from there collector saying I needed to pay them or else they were gonna go to the dot and put my license on hold. Now do they have the ability or authority to do this? How can a drivers insurance type program have the authority over your license?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    i think they can put an attachment to your company to pay for the ticket, i forgot what that's called though. but the DOT take your license away.......??
    since YOU DO owe them money, common sense prevails here and you PAY what YOU OWE........

frankly, i just do not see the need to have some sort of "insurance" to pay for tickets......i'd never trust them.

4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    They are your typical run of the mill collection company. They will threaten you with all kinds of statements. The only ones that can put a hold on your license is the issuing state, and they won't put a hold on it becuase of a non payment of a debt. Here's what you do, call them back and explain to them that due to the rough economy, you are willing to pay them the money you owe them, but you can only afford 5 dollars per month. It worked for me and my license was never "Put on hold"

5. brinkj23

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Yeah I know, pay em.. But if you're already tight on money and close to getting laid off kind of hard to throw 200 dollars to em like that.

That's what I figured, SD would be the only ones who could do anything since that was the issuing state and all they could do is not let me drive there. Since I don't drive otr anymore I wouldn't mind not having the ability to drive through there. But Ill try the 5 bucks a month thing, they can't take you to collections if you're making payments.

6. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Check the laws in your state regarding judgments (as in Civil court). Some states like Florida they have the ability to petition the state to suspend your driving privilege. I am not familiar with Mn, but I would at least call the local DMV and ask if the suspend for judgments.

7. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Let's get this straight:

Did they go to court for you?
    Did the ticket get taken care of in court?
    Was the fine paid?

If the fine was paid by Open Road then you only owe them the money. Makes you wonder about all that money you paid them! How long DID you pay for their services?
    If the ticket was paid then I wouldn't put too much in that threat of having your license suspended.
    BUT: If they DID threaten you like this then that is against the law. NO collection agency can threaten you on a collection call. I know I finally had to go through a bankruptcy recently and I actually got out of 1 payment because I was threatened as if the idiot was a mafia leg breaker! Their own recording cost them! Ain't that a leg slapper!

Anyway check with the court system where you got the ticket. After finding out if it was resolved and paid off ask them if this BFI scam of a pre paid can have your CDL suspended due to non-payment of their bill. I do not think the court wants to go through something that will not bring money into the coffers.And pre paid legal won't want to have to pay a court cost for this piddling amount of money unless they're as stupid as I know they are!

I'm pretty sure that won't happen!
    Next call those scammers and here's the deal. Tell them you're unemployed and know you have to pay the bill. You are NOT in a position to dictate terms. They CAN take you to small claims court for their $200 and then you'll also owe their lawyer fees on top of that.
    You'll not get a $5 a month payment. Over Road is not a lending institution. You'll have to cough up a bit more like 1/2 or maybe $50 a month if you're lucky but pay them before they hit you with another collection notice and my best advice is for you to call them! As in TODAY! Don't wait for them to contact you! By contacting them you are looking like you really want to pay them off as this WILL hurt your credit score badly if they take it to court.

If you are still making some kind of monthly payment to these BFIs, then kindly cancel your worthless subscription with them.

Pre Paid legal is a big ripoff! Here is the reason why and I'll break it down:
    -Monthly payments: Ok you're paying them HOW much a month? Anywhere from $25 to $50 a month with stupid "perks" like a big box customer card think "Sams Club" coupons to grocery stores or maybe discount tickets to Disney World, Water World or Branson (the SAME ones you can get on line with a few clicks!) or maybe even a discount card to Magic Eyes Eyeware.You might even get a discount at Hunts Auto Leasing like you really want a car lease!
    -you go for say 2 years and no ticket and suddenly you get one! NO biggie I got PRE PAID LEGAL! And you call them and you're told you need to send them HOW MUCH??? OR Oh we don't have a lawyer in BFE and you'll need to get one on your own. BUT,BUT,BUT I thought that's why I was sending you all this money! For YOU to handle this crapola!
    -You're out how much in monthly dues? So you call the court and find a lawyer in town who will handle this problem for oh lets say $358 (that's how much my last lawyer and fines cost me in NY) BUT Pre Paid ripoff says ok send him the check! HUH??? BUT,BUT,BUT whats all this money I've been sending you??? Oh that's just for our services. I know you really want to reach through the phone and jerk this moron through so you can pound a mud hole in his arse but that's not going to happen so you thank him and you make the call back to the lawyer, agree on a price and send him a check or money order whichever he wants and let things progress as they do in the court system!
    -Now some DO actually handle getting the lawyer and even pay the guy but how much did this "service" actually cost you so far? Was it really worth the cost?

Instead of paying some company something that's not a good investment then put maybe $500 in the savings account and leave it alone! Never get a ticket then you're making a little interest off it sitting there being pretty!

It's no trouble to call the court, find out how much the fine is and ask them if they know a lawyer (if a small town NOT LA!) then get in contact with him and let him handle the ticket! It'll cost you the same in fines and lawyer costs if this town doesn't have a lawyer in their roster of lawyers!

But the BEST advice I can give you is, Take it to court! Do NOT just pay a ticket! That lawyer's fee is well worth it over having a ticket that you plead guilty to ready to come bite you on your arse later! And that's what you do by just paying a ticket. Plead guilty. That lawyer is going to plead that speeding or moving violation down to something that isn't going to haunt you for the next 10 years!

Remember advice is given freely. Do with it what you will.
    I guarantee someone will come in here and sing pre paid legals praises. But IMHO why have another bill on you if the poo poo hits the fan and you're out a job but you're signed into a freaking automatic withdrawal from you account.
    It's just as easy for you to find a lawyer and send him a small check than keep paying for tha stupid Sams club card at a "discount" when that discount really doesn't really save you that much or the glasses you want aren't on the list!

OH! One other thing. If they did not pay a fine or show up in court then you just MIGHT have another problem! Your driver's license might just be suspended! I think I would first thing MONDAY check on this! You do NOT want to be more than walking distance from the house and get stopped and find this out the hard way! That's ANOTHER ticket and more money out of your pocket and that "driving on a suspended license" is a job killer and will help to jack up your car insurance also! But that ONLY more money you don't have! Tomorrow should be a busy day for you on the phone as this just is not something you need to "forget " about again!

For the rest of us. Get a ticket, don't let anyone else handle it! Not a pre paid or even the company! Stay on top of it! Jails are no fun, they are highly overrated! Been there done that by letting some idiot owner tell me oh, I'll pay that fine for you and how do I find out he didn't? By pulling on to the same scale and getting an L-3!
    Ride to jail, paying for an O/O's oh pull the load it's ok I'll pay and now I'm paying that fine AND more to get out of BFE's jail cell!

STAY ON IT! Don't trust anyone with a ticket given in your name even a DOT writeup!

8. brinkj23

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Thanks rollover! I was with jr schugel at the time, had been paying open road the monthly fee for about 4 months. Hit the SD scales was over weight on trailer axle, let me slide it to legal weight then wrote a ticket and said I had to pay it then and now. So I called open road they wrote out a com check that I gave to the sd dot and was on my way. Like you said, what the heck was I paying them all this money a month for then? They got a lawyer for an overweight ticket? Whats the point, I was overweight not a moving violation no biggie. But I agree they have no right to threaten me with suspending my license. An the fact the the scale house got paid and said I didn't have to go to court I assumed it was all kosher with SD dot. I just owed open road for the fine, yeah crap got crazy, no money coming in, blah blah blah. I put open road on the back burner cause wth was I paying em for anyways I easily paid for the fine with my monthly dues. Any ways I'm gonna call up the SD dot I guess and see if the fine was paid or if any records of my ticket on file yet. If anything only thing open road could do is have SD suspend my license for that state right? I mean I have a MN license an I don't drive in SD anymore. But I'll get it figured out, thanks again everyone, and rollover.

9. chunkinpunkin

chunkinpunkin Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    canoochee,ga
    dude, open road did not pay the fine, they posted a cash bond so you could go on your way. thats why they wanted to go to court. thats how a bond works. you ignored all those requests.

apparently with the attide of " its paid screw em". fact is if they pull the bond , you will have to go to court or pay the ticket, failure to do that and your license is suspended.

this is no different than a bail bondsman posting bail to get someone out of jail.

and what you were paying them for all those months was exactly what they did for you.

frankly, you got a bad attitude, they ought to suspend your license .

10. brinkj23

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Why do I have a bad attitude? I never said I didn't disagree with paying the fine or any of it, I was just simply asking a question if open road could get my license suspended personally as a company because that's how the open road rep made it sound as he threatened me. An why does my asking a question about something give a right to suspend my license?

11. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    It's against the law for any collection agency to threaten you in any way. All they can do is attempt to get their money. One poster told you to send them a few dollars and a note telling them sorry but this is all I have. It works.

Now, another said it was a bond. I don't know. If I were you I'd call the state who issued the ticket and see if it was paid. If it was then it wasn't a bond it was the ticket and Open Road wants their money.

But I would really check it as if it's still "pending" then if the court decides to take it to court and you're a no show then your CDL will get suspended and a bench put out on you. I'd pay the fine before you pay more to get your CDL reinstated!

Just stay away from prepaid legals and put a few dollars a month aside for these problems BUT always scale when in doubt! When in doubt and no scale then look closer at the map and stay away from scales!

Oh, never ignore any letter that has the word court on it with dates!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.