Question - Starting Engine - Slow Starts - FIX ?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by JerryD13, Jul 15, 2017.

1. JerryD13

JerryD13 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Question - Starting Engine - Slow Starts - FIX ? -- VOLVO 2012 - D13

My Truck seems like it is slow to start .

I have 3 batteries - I have had a issue before where the cables were loose
    and now I check and tighten the screws down periodically.

STILL SEEMS LIKE THE START IS NOT RIGHT.

I Turn the Key On - and wait for everything to light up and load for about
    15 seconds before I turn the Motor - then it starts pretty good.

** I had the Alternator checked and it is 100%
    ** and the Volts are GOOD 13.5/14
    ** 3 batteries I bought new at a Volvo dealer last year.

What say you ...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    If its sluggish maybe load test the batteries maybe 1 might be bad, check for corrosion, check wires at starter, make sure you check voltage at baterries with truck running to see its getting to batts. Could be a comnection that you think its tight and could be a little loose that it might be better to replace and check ground connects batt to engine and chassis

JerryD13 Thanks this.
  4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Starter is going drawing to much power and making for a slow start even with new batt increasing mechanical resistance of starter will increase draw from batt

JerryD13 Thanks this.
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Mine did the same thing, batteries were two years old and were dead. Sometiems it would start easy, next time would be slow cranking. They load tested the batteries and all were weak enough, replaced them and the issue was resolved.

JerryD13 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. JerryD13

Oct 17, 2016
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    YES SIR - This is an excellent evaluation of this battery issue - now you have me thinking
    that i have a bad cell - I definitely had a corrosion and loose connection before and it caused

/ (my DEF GAUGE on my DASH to "Bounce Around" the def gauge would abruptly go from full to empty and eventually stayed on empty till I fixed the battery - well Volvo found the issue. was Battery - was not a faulty def gauge )

Thanks for this valuable information.!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. JerryD13

Oct 17, 2016
    ================
    Thanks a Million !

8. JerryD13

Oct 17, 2016
    ================================================
    Nasriza - Had I known you were in -- Chicago -- I would have contacted you for my CAM REPLACEMENT - I KNOW YOUR A PRO ! Thanks

the whole time i was there in Chicago and suffering with doubt. (

9. Mudman78

Mudman78 Light Load Member

May 23, 2016
    Do you have a battery disconnect switch above the batteries? All 20 of our 2013's had loose cables on the disconnect switch. The high resistance and heat caused charring which made for an even worse connection. Had to disassemble the whole thing, clean the studs on a wire wheel, clean the cable ends with sandpaper and applied Kopr-Shield. Problem solved.

10. Will23

Will23 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2013
    I could really use some help from someone plz, when I go turn turn my truck in it does not turn over just clicks in the cab, I cleaned all battery terminals and wires, I replaced selonoid at fire wall, took all cables off starter and cleaned, still just clicks, I have been starting my truck with a wrench at the selonoid on the fire wall can also start with wrench on selonoid on starter, I have also checked fuses, can someone tell me if this is because my starter is broken or is there a way I can test it without having to take it out of the truck, this is on a Detroit series 60.

11. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Tapping on the starter to get the bendix to engage will be the easiest way to tell if the starter is bad without removing it. This will work for awhile to get you out of a tight spot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.