Question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ThomasTrucker21, Mar 3, 2021.

1. ThomasTrucker21

ThomasTrucker21 Medium Load Member

Yeah I know right

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ThomasTrucker21

Didn’t know asking questions made you a sucker

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Not everybody who answers your post is going to validate your idea of running a truck.
    Deal with it.
    Getting into pissing matches with everybody who disagrees with you is time consuming and counter productive.
    If you don't like the answers you're getting go on to the next post.

86scotty, Bean Jr. and ThomasTrucker21 Thank this.
  5. ThomasTrucker21

The thing is I wasn’t looking for a validation I simply asked what were some things I should bring to his attention before going forward with his plan. All the extra commentary is unnecessary to me but it’s all good. I’ll take the logical answers that I did receive and pass them on. :cya:

REO6205 Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If he can’t appear here himself, that’s all the more reason why you get answers as you do.

As much as you think it is easy, it is not.

You are looking at things like a driver, not as an owner which makes it even harder. He needs to take hours to learn the market and industry, he has to actually identify the niches that he can leverage and target those areas to leverage the truck into a profitable operation.

Trying to determine what is a logical answer in this industry leads to failure because a lot isn’t a lot of logical answers to be found, only answers to validate ideas. Sometimes the most illogical answer is the right one, we are all in a regulated industry but what you seem to ignore backs my point about don’t get into this business with a friends or relatives.

so not to let you down with a non-answer post, my recommendation is this.

First if he is determined to get into this, then he has to have liquid capital, a lot of people who have money thinking this is a great way to make millions and be king of the trucking thing (sarcasm), but with an 85% failure rate, capital is the main reason for failures followed up by mismanagement and then what is cropping up in the last couple years is a lack of an exit strategy.

Capital includes enough money in liquid reserve to cover six months of full operation with no income and even more important reason isn’t because of a lack of income but to cover expenses for a truck that will have downtime in weeks not days. New trucks with warranties don’t cover business expenses, used ones sometimes are more costly than having new ones.

With that is a completely separate business structure from his other ventures, and make you a partner, not an employee, have some skin in the success or failure,

Then learn how to buy a truck, it isn’t a car but it is a tool, due diligence is needed no matter if it is new or not.

Then you two should put a truck with a carrier where he can get the hand holding to learn the business because you will need it. Between the both of you, you should learn enough about how this market works and where the actual money is, it isn’t in load boards and brokers.

This is more or less the best approach to it for the next year or so, because when the economy tanks (it isn’t a question of if but when), then you both would have options to go for an authority or maybe find another niche to put a truck in - notice I didn’t say trailer?

7. stuckinthemud

stuckinthemud Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2013

Sounds like very good or great advice

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  8. ThomasTrucker21

@Ridgeline this is more of the type of response I was looking for and I appreciate that

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.