Questions about Gordon

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by shastamedic, May 10, 2011.

1. shastamedic

shastamedic Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Redding,California
    I am starting school in Redding on May 16th with a graduation date of June 13th. I have been cruising this forum for several weeks and have learned tons about the REAL world of trucking. After researching several companies hiring from the real NorCal, I would like to work for GTI. I have some questions that I didn't find the answers for on this forum and would like to hear from some GTI drivers.

1. How long do you think it will take a rookie to get a truck with an APU?

2. Does GTI have a pet policy and if so is there a deposit?

3. I like the NCA fleet but wold like to go farther East at times. Can I run the NCA Fleet and take some occasional runs farther East without switching fleets?

4. With the normal Cali heat being what it is in the summer can you idle to sleep when its brutal hot? How do you deal with the California idle laws?

5. After orientation, do most rookies get on a truck with a trainer from the yard or do you go home and wait?

6. What is the average wait for a truck after you have passed training and have been approved to solo?

7. After I go solo I understand I will learn everyday for a couple of years. Is there a resource to call and ask questions and get assistance as issue arise?

Thanks in advance for any answers you drivers can provide.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Yatista

Yatista Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York

1. With a good record of on time p/u and delivery about 6 months is normal. GTI is adding new tractors with apu's every week and taking the non-apu units out of service.

2. GTI has a pet policy. No pets!

3. Take some time driving before locking yourself into a particular fleet. You will be assigned to a fleet based on GTI's needs. Opportunities to change will be based on performance and hometime expectations. A passport and ability to run Canada would be helpful.

4. Most states have some idle restrictions, there is a thread on this sight about them. Enforcement is spotty but expensive if your in the wrong spot. Drive days, sleep nights, and get a good fan.

5. Usually get on a truck with your trainer at or within 2 days of orientation. Depends on where the trainer is at. He's driving to make a living while waiting for a student.

6. Normally you will get your truck within 1 or 2 days, about half at the end of orientation.

7. Your trainer will still be available by phone.

Good Luck

Ps: I can recommend a great 12v fan, I rarely run my a/c after sunset.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. shastamedic

Mar 19, 2011
    Redding,California
    Thanks for the quick reply and great info Yatista.
    I do have a US Passport and can run into Canada if needed. I was thinking staying out 2-3 weeks would be a good balance of making money and home time. Does the NCA Fleet run into Canada?

5. Yatista

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Sounds good, 2-3 weeks will allow enough time for longer runs. Make sure your DM knows that you have the passport and are willing to go to the great white north. Not right away but you will get the chance. All qualified drivers have the opportunity to go north, except maybe the SouthWest fleet.

6. shastamedic

Mar 19, 2011
    Redding,California
    I don't know that I really care which fleet I work as long as it hits I-5 so I can get home once in a while. I live about 10 min from the Redding TA.

7. Yatista

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Since most of the terminals are also on I-5 that wont be an issue.

8. shawnissocool

shawnissocool Bobtail Member

May 18, 2011
    santa fe springs, ca
    Hey guys I was wondering if Gordon hires any recent grads. without a lot of experience. I went to a mill (cause that's all I could afford) have about 18 hours of actual behind the wheel practice and obviously need more. Seems some companies wont take you unless you have 160-200 hours, I left several messages on the recruiting hotline, but have yet to get a response....

9. Yatista

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    If I were you I would go to the Rancho Cucamonga terminal on tuesday, with all your school documentation and current MVR. Ask to speak to Valerie, she is the recruiter, and sell yourself to her face to face. Most companies do require at least 160 hours of school (4 forty hour weeks) before hiring. They do however make exceptions on a case by case basis. You won't get the exception from a recording. Show up, ready to go and properly groomed for the job you want.

Good Luck

10. BigJDub

BigJDub Light Load Member

May 26, 2011
    Crescent City, Ca
    I'm looking at Gordon as well. I live about 2 hours away from their Medford Or terminal. I have a couple questions:

1. Dose the Medford terminal have secure parking for personal cars?

2. Whats the pay/miles look like? I can't find a pay chart on their website and pay is nothing with out miles.

3. I have been out of a truck for 3 years with 4 years OTR before that, I'm guessing I will need to go out with a trainer. How long dose that normally take and can I go from trainer straight to solo? (I still hold a CDL)

**UPDATE**

I went on Gordons site and chatted back and forth with a recruiter. He told me that due to me being out of trucking for a few years I 'might' need to out with a trainer for a couple weeks. I take that as I will need to go out with one. The pay he quoted was $325 per week with the trainer then .34/mile after that

Dose this pay sound right for someone with just under 4 years OTR and just over 3 years away from trucking?

He also said I would have no problem going from the trainers truck to solo. Is this true?

I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. He said nothing about a contract. Because I would have to go with a trainer are they going to spring some kind of contract on me?

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  11. BigJDub

BigJDub Light Load Member

May 26, 2011
    Crescent City, Ca
    No response and Gordons online app doesn't work, guess i"m not going there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.