Questions about orientation

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by MondoTrucker, Feb 9, 2014.

1. MondoTrucker

MondoTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect during the first phase of orientation. Its not working out for me financially and some other issues to go directly to orientation after school, so there will likely be a 2-4 week lapse. I would like to know what to expect so I can be mentally prepared because I don't have access to a truck to continue practice with maneuvers and such, and I don't want to blow any skills tests.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    The skills tests are not so much tests as evaluations. They are designed to guage where you are in the learning process. I have given road tests and basically the criteria I used was "can this person move this truck forward through on the road without endangering me or any of the rest of those on the road. Can this person shift from one gear to the next to keep the truck rolling, not can this person do it flawlessly, bit do they have a basic understanding of how, when and why to shift.

In short, what I was looking for and asking myself was - if I take this guy out with me for 5 weeks, will I be able to teach him to drive the truck in a safe an efficient manner.

If the answer is yes, you pass. Nothing to be afraid of.

4. MondoTrucker

MondoTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Good I should be fine then may have to knock a little rust off after a few weeks out of the truck but I will be all right.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.