questions about roehl

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by csw1818, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Beedubyah

Beedubyah Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I will find out for myself after the holiday's. After 6 months with this FM I have no reason to think he would lie to me, however if I find it to be false I wont hesitate to say something to this FM. I am not one to hold back, which brings me to this comment.
    I know that both you and slybaldguy have left the company. I don't know the details and don't need to either.
    I have noticed quite a bit of negativity towards Roehl posted as of late. I am not implying that you two are posting this negativity, but I do know that it can spread like a cancer and cause many to make decisions based on that negative information.
    I was told that I could expect anywhere from 2200 - 2500 miles a week and have not reached those numbers yet, but I do get home every weekend. So now I will see if I can reach the 3500 to 4000 a week running two weeks out. Time will tell and I will certainly post the results and you can take that information to the bank, I will not exaggerate or lie, that's not me.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. T_TRUCKER.

T_TRUCKER. Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A city near you.
    I was with Roehl for 7 months, I have given all my experiences with them and my FM truthfully and accurate to how things went. I'm not one to bash any company without having plenty of ground to stand on. I'm sharing my exp with Roehl to maybe help someone from not being in the same situation I was in, or maybe just giving them a heads up. Because I was given none. I still talk to one of my classmates and he is having the same trouble I was having that caused me to go elsewhere. I stayed out 3-5 weeks at a time, in the beginning, sure 3000 a week was possiable but no where close to 3500, as I said for him to say 4000 a week in a truck that only goes 63 should raise the red flag. Anyways, the last couple of months I was with Roehl, my miles per week was upwards of 2100-2300 if I was lucky. Also, I have never been late on any load due to it being MY FAULT. I had very good communication with my FM if there was a delay at the shipper/traffic. I also took every load givin to me, including the worthless 100 mile trip with a day to get there, and believe me. I had gotten those way to often and never once complained. So there was no reason to have my miles chopped, which also took a huge toll on my weekly paychecks. I seriously could make more flippin burgers or standing behind a counter ringing people up all day.

In my time at Roehl, I have talked to several drivers that have had the same experience as me. And they did nothing wrong either, it seems to me that once you get a little more CPM they WILL cut your miles back, and give them to the 100+ new students each week, why? Because it costs Roehl less money. It makes perfect since to me, buisness wise, but your not taking care of drivers that have been there. This was my experience. And as I said, I have talked to plenty of other drivers that are dealing with the same issues, including my buddy I talked to lastnight and told me he had a 27 mile relay. He is also looking to leave because they are doing the same thing to him. I'm sure other drivers have different experiences and feel differently, but as you said you aren't one to take BS, I'm not either. And that's why I left.

jimbo29, wyldhorses and gingersquatch Thank this.
  4. Beedubyah

Dec 28, 2013
    I am not doubting your experiences with Roehl, I have experienced low miles as well. That has led me to research other options as well, and in the end I may be following you and several other drivers that move on to other opportunities. My situation, or at least my promise to myself to stay with them until I fulfill that promise dictates that I explore all the possibilities before jumping ship. I am in a dedicated fleet and have been told that if I run two weeks out I will get the longer runs. One run from Green Bay to Muskogee pays near $400 and takes an over night drive to get there, then you have the return, usually to Chicago, another $300 plus. That adds up in a hurry, add in a few more local runs and you've grossed over $1000 for the week. The problem being that I chose to be home every weekend, so I wasn't assigned those longer runs and therefore spent more time sitting at Sam's Clubs, Grocery warehouses and live load/unloads. It's my opinion that's where we loose earning potential. To be totally honest I would rather find an opportunity to run Chicago to the west coast and back all the time. So it is very likely that will be the direction I end up following. I like being out on the road, so I will try to make the most I can being there.

I do not doubt you sincerity with your posts, however I do know from several years in the Military that negativity breeds discontent and spreads like a wild fire. Believe me when I say that "If I find the information given by my FM to be untrue" the proverbial SH T will hit the fan!

5. T_TRUCKER.

T_TRUCKER. Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A city near you.
    I understand completely what your saying and what your goal is. Hopefully you will run a little better and you can make the money you deserve to be making. Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing. Stay safe

Beedubyah Thanks this.
  6. csw1818

csw1818 Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    My plan is to stay 2 years and try to get on tmc specialized if not just normal tmc they seem to be a good company for more veteran drivera

7. jimbo29

jimbo29 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Grand Island,NY
    Great thread on Roehl....they've been near the top of my list but after reading all this I'm not so sure.

8. Beedubyah

Dec 28, 2013
    Really Jimbo, all the transportation companies that take on new drivers with no experience take advantage of the new drivers. Of all the companies I investigated Roehl stood above the rest in; Equipment, Home time and the cost as well as the quality of their school. As you can see from this thread many will leave looking for greener pastures once they have some experience under their belts, and then trucking isn't for everyone! In my honest opinion you cant go wrong starting with Roehl.

9. gingersquatch

gingersquatch Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'll have to agree, and I'm not a big roehl fan right now, but Roehl looks darn good on a resume. .for now at least. Also, not knowing from any first hand experience, but off of other drivers, Roehl is far from the worst company to start with.

10. XR-754

XR-754 Bobtail Member

May 19, 2014
    Far from the worst yes but imo, at least for me, just some small changes would make it great. For starters, let the drivers fuel and route. Hold them to a percentage of out of route and let them make the decision. Can't tell you how often there fuel program has me fuel either wrongly or more expensive then nearby truckstop. In general the routes also are horrible. Furthermore let up just a hair on the micromanagement. The cpm also needs just a small bump as it is really seeming to lag behind other carriers. Last I would like to see some more drop and hooks. Lots of live load/unload. Idk, just a little better balance of letting the driver make some decisions and a litte better frieght, would make roehl shine and would lessen the "I'm leaving" posts.

11. wyldhorses

wyldhorses Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    United States
    Roehl has the reputation of having the worst routing in the industry. Any backwoods,two lane,winding hilly road, with no place to stop or park, and Roehl will have you drive it instead of the interstate. It's the Roehl way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.