Questions for a trailer tech?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by 1nonly, Mar 9, 2018.

1. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    If anyone has questions about trailers, ask away. I'm a former Swift driver, current trailer tech. I've been in the shop for two years now. So if there is some little nagging question in the back of your mind, here's your chance to get it answered.

P.S. Note I am a trailer tech. I never work on the tractors.

Subutai Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    If two swift trailers were self motorized.
    One left Miami at 9:30 going 58.23 miles
    Going North on I-95.
    The second trailer going 57.89 miles per hour leaving Savannah Georgia at 9:45 going south.

When they pass each other on I-95
    What will the temperature in Seattle Washington be

Thanks, luse

spyder7723 and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  4. 3523

3523 Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Who ordered all of those wrong sized landing gear handles?

Seriously though, any chance Swift will put the trailer numbers on the white background of the older trailers like they are on the newer trailers? Thought maybe they could do that when they come in for service. Times when it’s impossible to see the numbers at night.

5. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    Purple, unless it's the fifth Monday in March- in which case it will be spaghetti.
    Darn good question to the first!

As to the second, there are no plans to do that. Where would you like them to be? On the front of the trailer, or the sides? Because I could easily begin doing that on the trailers we will be keeping for a while longer.

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Having the trailer number on the front is a big help. It seems to be with only 16x and newer though.

Also, getting that 40 foot tandem sticker on the older trailers would also be a big help to us.

1nonly Thanks this.
  7. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    I guess I opened a can of worms here, so let me share something with y'all--

Since the merger, management has refused to hire mechanics. We've lost 2 trailer techs and we are set to lose another next week. That's half our shop gone. And the big bosses simply rub their hands with glee over the money they save on paychecks.

I would very much like to make your jobs easier. I've been there and I do get it. I am asking, however, for your understanding that I am swamped with more work than I can possibly accomplish already.

This thread idea came about from a conversation I had with a new driver who asked tons of questions. I figured there might be others with questions that never have the chance to ask. So I posted this.

I'm not mad at y'all and by all means keep requesting additional items you want me to do. But understand it isn't going to happen until I have more coworkers to share the load. At this time, I'm shortcutting everything and my most used tool is my caulk gun.

When I have the chance, I will begin adding trailer numbers on the front and placing the 40' decal on the side.

Thank you for your input, and I'm sorry I can't be more help to you with your requests.

JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  8. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Thanks for the info. I doubt many of us had any idea that trailer mechanics were so short handed.

9. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    It may not be everywhere. I only know my shop. But there does seem to be a general reluctance to hire anyone other than drivers. Which is silly, of course. Mechanics are just as important to a trucking company. None of the drivers will get very far if all the equipment is down.

Anyway, I'm done whining. We all knew change was coming.

10. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Hire, hire, hire drivers. It seems to be a thing.

In the mean time I need a bit inspection, for which it seems I am solely responsible for.
    None of the pplans I get will get me to a terminal to get it done.
    I'm pretty sure that it pops up on the planners screen, that I will be on hold in the next day or two for this. Yet they keep sending me stuff that does not get me to where I need to be.

If I need an inspection or a b-service, the planners should be getting me to where I need to be to get these things done. But it is always a fight with them to do it.

11. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I’ve been having more tire issues last couple of months with trailers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.