Questions for current WM drivers

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by texasmorrell, May 12, 2020.

1. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    I’m sure these questions have an asked 1 million times before on this forum but it’s nearly impossible to find what you’re looking for without sifting through tons of garbage. So I will ask one more time. I was thinking about becoming a company driver for Walmart which is crazy because I’ve been an owner operator for the last 20 years. But I’ve heard a lot of good things about driving for Walmart so I thought I might do some research and consider it.

1. What are the working hours for the driving jobs that are posted as daytime? I noticed on the job posting website some of the jobs are posted for night time so those are obvious. I don’t mind working 6 AM to 10 PM but outside of those hours I expect to be sleeping.

2. Please explain slip seating and permanent trucks at Walmart.

3. Please describe a typical load or round trip that a driver would make to and from a DC.

4. Do you have normal scheduled days off that remain consistent? Can you expect to have weekends and holidays off?

Please throw in any other information you think is important for a new guy to know before hiring on. Like I said, I know these questions have been asked before but it’s impossible to find exactly where they are in this forum. Thanks.

JOHNQPUBLIC and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    As a new hire you will be an extra until you gain a bid run. You will have a start time issued (gate time). A work week will be come in at your gate time. Find what tractor your in. Put your things in it. Grab your dispatch and find your trailer. Then hook up and pretrip. And head out to the store.

You will be communicating with the ROC by using the OBC. So your day could be somewhere between 10hrs or 14hrs everyday. And depending on what you have left on your 70 you can elect to come in on your 6th day.
    But GM drivers do mostly drop and hooks. You will sleep at the DC or store depending on where you run out of hrs. WMT doesn't like the trucks at a truck stop. But if you have no hrs no big deal. You will repat this until your last day of work week. You get time could be in the AM or PM. But you can discuss that with the GTM on the interview.

Slip seating is the norm if you have a permanent truck or not. If you are on a program like 5/2 5/3 then you and 2 other drivers will slip seat the same truck. 1 driver works the 5 days that the other 2 are off.

But as a new hire you will be in 1 truck for anywhere from half a day to possibly a whole week. It depends on if its someone's truck. And how its scheduled out. I've been in 3 trucks in a week. And I've been in 1 truck for 2 weeks. It's a good way to loose things. And it isnt the most hygienic thing.

Yes you have the same days off on 5/2 but they are different for other programs. Like 5/2 5/3 and others. As for holidays I think Christmas was the only guaranteed day off. Unless the other holidays fell on your normal days off. Or you put in for vacation during a holiday. But they are paid holidays.

Other info is you cant text while on the drive line. And you can only talk on the phone 60 mins per day. For 10 mins at a time while on the drive line. Several drivers have been fired for violating this. No matter if you texted at 1500 and you didnt have a signal. So your phone picked up a tower at 1517 then it went through as your on the drive line. If your caught your fired!

Road facing cameras, and a possible sleep study for sleep apnea also.

4. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Thanks for the reply. How do they know if you text or talk from your own phone?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  5. haz-matguru

Feb 18, 2012
    You will sign an agreement to get hired. In the agreement you will have to supply your records in 48 hrs of them being requested.

You records will be compared to your drive time on line 3 of your logs. If any text shows up, Your done!!! If a call shows that it was longer than 10 mins your done!!!

6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Things not that happy at Prime?
    Or are you just on your way back from Cancun and looking for a better gig?

7. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    That whole phone thing is one of the many reasons I have no interest in WM. Big money or not, I couldn’t deal with being micromanaged.

I’m sure it’s a great gig for the right person.

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Skip seating in a pandemic.....no TKS

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I was going to bring that up...........

truckguy391, truckdriver31 and Opus Thank this.
  11. haz-matguru

Feb 18, 2012
    Well I feel it's a shame that some ppl say they are willing to do whatever Walmart comes up for the amount of money that they pay drivers. Ppl like that will do anything for money. However WMT has changed alot. It's no longer a we care about drivers culture there. It's more of a everyone is replaceable type of place now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.