Questions for current WM drivers

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by texasmorrell, May 12, 2020.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I’d bet Sam ain’t real happy.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    So you would not recommend driving for Walmart?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  4. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    looks of info on walmart here i come 2.0

5. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    whats your goals. benefits, money, 401k, etc

6. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I worked there 7 months and it wasnt for me. The slip seating along with the cell phone policy was a bit much. If I would have known about it before I came there I wouldn't have taken the job. However I had already left where I was before I went there.

The cameras were being talked about when I was employed by them. And some drivers were already saying how they was going to leave if they had driver facing cameras.

Another thing I didnt like was being so attached to the stores. And by that I mean parking at the store for a 10hr break. They would say at least twice a month how they didnt want there truck at a truck stop unless it was for emergency fuel. It was either 10hr break at a store or at a DC.

And also for a company that size with the profits that they make. The health insurance is kinda high. There is no perfect company, but I thought the place was better than what I experienced while there. And the older drivers that had been around when sam was alive would tell you how much better it was when he ran the place.

But as the saying goes all good things will come to an end. They pay is cool, but it's like they're trying to keep it below 100k. And that's by either running drivers off with new policies or firing older hands for almost anything. Then hiring younger drivers at lower pay. (Im hearing and seeing this alot in the past five years across the industry).And they are advertising they are hiring in ways they never did before. On trailers like the megas that cant keep drivers. Hell they even had hiring drivers advertising on the windows of the stores at one point.

Some drivers are putting up with things because they are close to retirement. Like my cousin a 30yr employee. But several have said to hell with the stuff WMT is putting down. I have former coworkers of 21yrs and 15yrs that left that I still talk to. And they said it just wasnt worth it anymore. And a former coworker that's currently employed. But says hes looking for another place that pays the same if not more. So he wont leave until then.

Usually the WMT company loving, great value buying guys dont like when you speak the truth about the place. So the one thread got shut down. And I asked a driver to start another thread with the same title. But search for these threads

Walmart here I come
    Walmart here I come 2.0

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Yup, Walmart coming up short again

93063383-2F99-4F23-9488-32CD403FC229.jpeg

8. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    You gave me a lot to think about. The devil is always in the details I guess.

9. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Just the money. I’d be willing to try any company that actually paid well at this point. The problem is they all claim to pay well until you try them for six months and then You realize they're full of it. Walmarts the only company I have consistently heard pays well. But it sounds like there’s a trade off.

alds and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  10. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    depends. are you a otr mega company driver. lots of use to be owner ops over here. they are buy the book on the safety, phone and text log. but do remember you have to give them reason for showing them this. like wrecking etc

11. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Let me throw this out there, as I didn’t see it among the walls of text..

Each DC sets their own policies regarding the work schedules, truck assignments, regional expectations, etc. While one DC may require one thing from it’s drivers, another DC may have completely different expectations and policies. My DC has very little to no micromanaging. You want to sleep at a truck stop? Go ahead. Wanna sleep at the DC or any store you want? Feel free. Want to have a short day and get a little extra sleep? Not a problem.,just adjust your ETD. The only real requirements are don’t wreck the truck and get the loads to the stores within the delivery window. Again, understand that every DC operates at their own pace..and as I am almost at one year at WM, it could not be a better job. I make great money and have no one looking over my shoulder. YMMV

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.