Questions for experienced drivers.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kaefam, Jul 21, 2011.

1. kaefam

kaefam Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Ok so im thinking of getting my CDL through Schneider and trucking through them. I just wanted to know some of the pros and cons of trucking, ive never done anything like this before, though i am a safe and responsible driver. Ive never driven a truck so this will be a first for me. How is life on the road? Can you bring a pet? How is the overall experience? I am single 21 years old etc etc etc, so the being away from home isnt really going to bother me much.

Any advice or comments are VERY appreciated!

Thanks again

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    go apply for an LTL job work the dock for a while get permission to use their equipment for free to practice for your CDL then when the time comes become a local driver and go home every night

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Get to reading the forum. :) It's hard to paint you a clear picture in one post.

Usually your first year is rough financially because you are not making what you will in the future. Plus paying for your school. On the other hand your first year is exciting as you see the country. It's a different world as you meet people from different cultures and lifestyles. You're away from home and your new friends are the truckers you meet. You'll meet many great intelligent people and on the other hand you'll run across a bunch of idiots. There's a large mix of good and bad companies out there. You'll probably find some bads ones as a new driver. As you gain experience, you can pick where you want to work. Always make an effort to have good communications and good work ethics with your dispatcher. You do that and your employment will be healthy. You can't get along will reflect on your paycheck and before you know it, you are quitting.

There is nothing like a good cup of coffee and watching the sun come up or go down while you have 53' of trailer in your mirrors. Or pushing yourself on a tight run and you deliver on time. Trucking is pretty cool at times.

You'll be very nervous at first learning to drive. But you'll slowly gain confidence. Once you learn, it's like driving your car as far as ease of confidence and comfort go.

There's more responsibility than one recognizes. You are held to a higher standard as far as driving goes. You think you are a good safe driver now? You might be? In a year or two you will be even a better, safer driver. There is a higher level of safe driving and reading traffic. You will learn it.

You are going to run into stressful situations that make you mad. Irrate customers, bad drivers causing you problems, sitting, waiting... Blowing up and getting mad just makes things worse. You'll learn how to handle these situations in a calm collective matter and things go easier.

One might think you have freedom of the open road. But you are attached to that truck and where you can go is limited. You have the DOT, the public and your company critiquing your every move. One mistake can cost you thousands of dollars and even land you in jail. Just do your job correctly and you'll be okay.

You get out there, do what you were taught. Nobody is exempt from and accident. Develop good driving habits and your odds of having an accident will be lower. If you become a monkey see, monkee do driver and tailgate, aggressive driving, park where your not suppose to and other stuff, just because you see others do it, you are asking for problems. That mentality will put you in a category of a higher chance for a wreck. You can do something wrong for 20 years and get away with it. Then one day your world falls down around you. We need one more good driver out there. Not one more bad driver.

Many new drivers see the real world of trucking only after they get out there and decide they don't like it. It's a job you have to marry and be 100% committed. Attitude means alot. If you were born to truck, you will know it and you'll love your job.

One more piece of advice. You have to be real careful how you handle your money. I see young drivers buying up everything they run across and come payday, they are broke. Play your cards right and you can live an above average lifestyle.

The pet thing, there are pet friendly companies out there. Most are not. But you will meet many drivers with pets. It's good having a buddy on the road.

Good luck! :)

Markus, okiedokie, BigJohn54 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. kaefam

kaefam Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Thanks a ton! Im actually really excited to get everything going, the only thing that makes me uneasy is that ive never even been inside a truck before lol, but im a fast learner and im willing to learn whatever necessary to perform my job correctly and efficiently.

Hows the sleeping arrangement? As well as breaks? Are you on a schedule? How long of breaks do you get?

6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    You'll love the inside of a truck. They are more like an RV nowadays. Many truckers have flat panel tv's, microwaves and little refridgerators. You can make yourself comfortable. Home sweet home....on wheels :)

You work long hours all around the clock. You are guaranteed a straight 10 hour break everyday by DOT regulations. You can go to the FMCSA website and see all the regulations. You'll learn many of them.

7. kaefam

kaefam Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Yeah i was browsing youtube earlier to get some tours of some of the trucks out there and people had flat screens, xboxes, fridges etc all in their rigs i was amazed haha. Thanks for all your advice! Im looking forward to getting started! :D

8. Mud Dog

Mud Dog Tattooed & Insane - Forum Sparkler

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    Agreed. Im 6' 265 and some trucks are roomy and some like a house. lol Never had a truck with those accessories unless I wanted to buy them but Im cool with tv at the truckstop and a big cooler. If i got too comfy Id never wanna go home :biggrin_25519:

9. Mud Dog

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    Just getting started everything can be overwhelming but dont let it get to ya. Take your time and let it sink in, trucking is a learning process thats ever changing. Im closing in on 2 yrs (still considered a rookie by many but its cool) things that I kept studying to hopefully remember the next day are second nature now. Im 100% confident from 2 yrs ago but Im about 10% experienced. Every mile I learn something new. When I think I know it all, that day Ill get out, because Im not gonna be the driver on the news . Life on the road anything can happen and the unexpected will happen. Wish you luck

BigJohn54 Thanks this.
  10. kaefam

kaefam Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Thanks, yeah i think those guys had bought the xbox and what not that were in their trucks, and im guessing they also bought the trucks its in. Does it get too lonely out there? Do you have any free time to kick back in the truck? Or is all mostly just driving there and to the next destination? Sorry if im asking a lot of questions im just really anxious to get going and start my career :D

11. Mud Dog

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    Ive heard some companies buy the refridgerators for trucks but idk Ive not got 1 yet. lol But yeah the xbox and stuff is the drivers, I know a few that have tv/dvd,games,satalite,computer, and who knows what else. Its up to what you want and if you can run an inverter in the truck. It can get lonely but it dont bother me, i gotta have my space. Cell phone and cb helps and yes i have conversations with myself out loud goin down the road. lol Free time will depend on a number of things from freight in the area to weather. Ive had times that I could watch 2 movies on a break waiting on another load and times that its balls to the walls and Im already running behind when I get the load. Every company, driver, and situation is different. Best advice, rest/nap/sleep when you can. A 30 minute nap helps more than you think. Diesel is in my blood so I knew kinda what to expect but at the same time it was like "really?" with so many things that I didnt realize. As far as Schneider, idk they were training again, last I knew they took recent grads. I was with them 8 months doing walmart dedicated, the 3 trainers on site were great guys. Until my last day day with them I enjoyed every minute and was planning on staying with them for years, but unfortunatly thats no longer an option. I made real good money bad wk-$450 good wk-just over 900 and didnt have to worry about my logs they have electronic 1s. trucks looked rough but they made sure they ran. Questions dont bother me Ill help what I can. When I started out idk about this site and got my info from drivers at truck stops, a few drivers will tell ya straight and some will ignore, degrade, and make you feel stupid for asking a question. Just man up thank em for their time and go to the next driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.