Questions for experienced O/O or Leasee.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by KingOfHibernia, Nov 7, 2013.

1. KingOfHibernia

KingOfHibernia Light Load Member

May 1, 2009
    Northfield, MN
    Does anyone have the answers to the following questions?

1. Do you pay the 14.65% social security taxes on your gross income? Net income?
    2. I know the lease payments on a truck you are leasing is tax-deductible but, if you buy a truck outright and are financing the truck, are the monthly payments also tax deductible?

Thank you in advance for your time and responses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    never lease
    yes the truck u buy out right is deductible any thing u use cell phone, fuel, down to baby wipes is deductible. u can write off pretty much any thing concerning o/o.

KingOfHibernia Thanks this.
  4. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    Leasing your truck is not necessarily a bad idea., except for doing a lease purchase from a company. that is bad.
    For example, I bought my truck from Arrow Truck Sales, and it's a lease purchase from the finance company. I have a 45 month lease with a buyout payment less than the lease payment in the end. By going this route, you can put the truck wherever you want to, with whatever company will accept you. You can also get your own authority and book your loads direct, but I don't recommend it, since you've been out of the picture for so long. Lots of things have changed, and you need to familiarize yourself with everything that's changed over the years.
    Also, while a lease payment is deductible, unless something has changed, your truck payment on a conventional loan is not deductible. With that scenario, you can depreciate the truck over three years, but not deduct the payment. I may be wrong with that, but I don't think so. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    BigBadBill and KingOfHibernia Thank this.
  5. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    If you buy, you deduct depreciation, and interest.

6. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    You will have to pay tax on net income. Thats after ALL your business expenses.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Lease payments are direct write off but depending on your CPA, your loan interest may be but not the payments, that is taken care of depreciation.

It is best to ask your CPA about these things, not a tax preparer but a CPA.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.