Questions for oilfield drivers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smarttowers, Jul 18, 2011.

1. smarttowers

smarttowers Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hanzerik from reading your posts I'm guessing you were stationed at F.E. Warren when you retired. I was stationed there for my first duty station from 96-98 they contracted out fuels there so I headed east to McGuire. I've been reading your posts and I would have thought that some of the companies would have taken the military tractor experience into consideration when hiring you. I know it doesn't count as good as OTR experience but from reading earlier I have an idea of the trucks you were driving and they definitely would be hazmat endorsements. Plus some interesting tilt bed hydraulic stuff.

I can't say I missed Cheyenne I was young and there was hardly anything to do there since I'm not a drinker. Always watch out for the one with the U.S. Marshal in front!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hanzerik

Hanzerik Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hehe, I left McGuire/Fort Dix to come out here and be a glorified babysitter at the Missile Alert Facilities. Was on McGuire for 3.5, and Fort Dix for 5.
    I love Wyoming :biggrin_25520:

I think the occasional driving I did at Dix is what actually got me in the door. All we drove there were flatbeds and lowboys. I think all of the companies that eventually tried to hire me took my Military driving into consideration even though it was only once or twice a month that I drove a truck to move equipment around. It was kind of funny to get calls from two other companies a day or so after getting hired by another.

Jobs are out there, you just have to look for them and apply. Don't be afraid to knock on some doors or pick up the phone and make some calls. Be persistent and follow up on any application you fill out.

BigJohn54 Thanks this.
  4. Yup

Yup Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Everywhere,USA(Texas)
    Forget the wireless in Loco Hills,unless your tethered off a
    [rooted]smart phone it wont happen.I asked one of my hands to snoop around next time he gets loaded that way to see,if he can see whats what?
    Your likely to have to run out of Odessa/Midland for the best money.

5. smarttowers

Jul 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I am hoping that the local cell provider will be able to have internet there. They have a cellular internet that is unlimited usage. Plateau cellular is the company and they show they cover the area so hopefully since its pretty much flat everywhere I will have internet.

6. Yup

Yup Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Everywhere,USA(Texas)
    Sitting about 7 miles from Loco Hills currently,AT&T wont pull enough to run browser
    Flip over to my phone tether and I can cruz the left lane at 3G.

7. smarttowers

Jul 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    AT&T phone? Also I was hoping to use the local wireless company Plateau. They have a 1.5MBit unmetered option.

8. Theguy24

Theguy24 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2011
    hopefully that option is there

9. 18WheelBurnout

18WheelBurnout Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    We've done some oil field contracts in my fleet and the feedback is variable. I issue satellite phones as a back-up for going into cell-dead areas. I don't want my guys (and gal) going out in the desert without a phone. It's been 110+ in central TX ... even hotter out there, and no rain. You won't last long if you are short on water and the truck breaks down in the middle of no-where.

10. smarttowers

Jul 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I have gone to wannabe to student and hope by the end of October to have my CDL.

I'm actually in training and its going well for me passed air brake and combination tests with flying colors. Next week we take doubles/triples, tanker, hazmat and then general knowledge. If everything goes well will have my permit Friday and driving Monday.

So questions I have now are does anyone know any companies in the loco hills/artesia area that haul sand and don't only lease O/O. I'm hoping to get on with a company that hires new drivers that at least have a sand operation that I could move into eventually. Also any way to find out what companies haul sand or where they would be picking up their sand in the area so I could talk to some drivers would be useful.

This site has been very informative and I'm grateful for all the help the other drivers have given directly and indirectly.

11. prairiewynde

prairiewynde Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2011
    nd
    housing is short, hours are long, safety is at a high due to many inexperienced or low maintance units, weather is currently sitting in the 30 to 40's and that is nice for this time of year. western ND and SD and MT have definetly seen snow already 200 to 300 inches perdicted for the area, Food prices and products are rising customer service is at it highest stress level, the locals, hate the riff raff and TX. is looking for drivers/o/o ....seriously think south especialy if you from there, and no offense to newbies but most seasoned drivers really are sick of the mishaps that come from someone with no experience in the filed but worse when they don't even have very many hours at driving a rig in the first place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.