Questions for OO

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Patrick615, Jun 10, 2018.

1. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    I know my last post was a bit harsh, but just to be clear... I don’t want anyone to fail. I don’t want anyone to go broke. I just wish more people would realize that this is a business, not a job. You wouldn’t purchase a restaurant with no cooking or management experience, you wouldn’t buy an apartment complex with no real estate experience, etc. so why do people think that trucking is any different? Again, I don’t want to see anyone fail, but some people seem dead set on setting themselves up for it right from the beginning.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I totally agree. I don't want to see anyone fail either but it's inevitable. Much like watching the zebra being stalked by the lion. You don't want to poor zebra to be the lion's meal but you know deep down it's going to happen. I've seen entirely too many threads where greenhorn know-it-alls come in here crying that they were managers at pizza joints so they know all they need to run a truck. They're clueless and they always fail. How many threads do we see here telling an opposing story? I've never seen one. The only success stories I see are from the people who took the time to develop the necessary skills and knowledge to be a winner. IMO the number one step in that direction is dedication. They've all demonstrated that here by simply searching for answers before expecting others to do it for them.

SixShooterTransport Thanks this.
  4. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Edit: sorry this is so long. Just wanted to get this out of me.
    These threads are great. No offense to the OP. The do seem to repeat the same questions over and over. Ya, I’m new here, and may have asked a question or two that was a repeat. When I found @double yellow and @BoyWander threads that really tackled the greater issues in a deeper daily work way, and those threads are most enlightening. Everyone should read them.

Many of you vet’s have a tendency to be very helpful. That is appreciated, but there is also an attempt to state what to expect actually doing the jobs you do. It’s reality, and many seem to get offended at that thought. Imagine you’re in a ####ty job, tough relationship, and your not making ####. Then you read an add for being a driver and they say you can make $60-140k a year almost instantly. These people get full of hope. Well...what you guys post just let’s the air out of their sails, and it should. It’s work.

I see a big difference in “can you” and “should you”. I think that falls on deaf ears.

As an example I’m here at 52 years old. I can work for the companies I helped found into perpetuity. My desire to stop being in the gilded cage is immense. I know how I got to where I am. You’re not going to recreate my experience with a 160 hours of schooling and (1) year experience.

I guess I’m patting myself on the back. Which is lame of me, but you’re never going to get #### given to you. Shut your mouth, work hard and learn. Do the hard things first. Smile at those you work with. Go beyond what seems to be the average. Care about every facet of what you’re doing and I still give you 50/50 chance that you end up average. Btw If you can pay your bills, have the love of some good people and raise a family you’re already winning. Don’t lose sight of that.

Yes I can afford to go buy a newer good truck and have a sizable cash reserve that would never affect me or my family. Is that the best use of my money right now? No, absolutely not. I should pass my test do at least a year with a carrier and learn everything before I start throwing money at my own truck and becoming a L/O or O/O. I may change my mind. I may want to haul different freight. The economy could go back into recession. No my plan is to learn without overly exposing myself. Then make smart moves that look more like good planning as opposed to gambling.

Oh ya, you don’t know until you’ve done it. It’s easy to count the money before you make it. Can you deal with truck stops? Pee filled parking lots. Breakdowns? Snow storms? ####ty roads? Missing your loved ones? Endless miles with seemingly endless problems? Bad food? Annoying people? Power hungry people at receivers et.al. From what I’ve read all the things listed above can all happen in one day. How long can you deal with that. Sure staring out the window on a crisp morning looking at snow caped peaks while surrounded by green rolling fields with horses running in them is a desireable thing. When it sucks you’d better look at the stuff. That might be the only profit you make on that load.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    What do you think, Mr @Patrick615? Not what you wanted to hear, is it? But are they telling you the truth, or are they just trying to hold you back? Everyone recommends that you go get some experience first...learn on someone else's dime. But that's exactly what you don't want to do, right? Why not? Too many horror stories floating around? Well, keep in mind that many of these people getting into the business have never in life had a tough job, or learned responsibility or any kind of work ethic or self control. If you rolled with the old man, odds are pretty good that you have learned responsibility.

6 months. Go sign up for a flatbed gig with ANY bottom feeder, run that truck for 6 months without an accident, and I will wager that the majority of the obstacles you're facing now will be gone. A mega carrier flatbed gig will not be as crappy as the majority you hear about. Well, as long as it's not Western Express. Yes, it's work, yes it's tarping, however, it's an education like no other and time will fly by.

Luck in battle.

6. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    What’s amusing to me is that he was driving illegally with his Father and doubles! Should be Thankfull he made it through unscathed! I would also suggest Slow Your Roll and Listen!

DSK333 Thanks this.
  7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You are working dumb, try working smart. 3,000+ miles a week? If that is what you want to do buy a Volvo and a track suit, you will fit right in. Oh, and those funny shoes they all wear. ;-)

BoyWander Thanks this.
  8. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    apply at the Russian consolet in Chicago tell them you are on a student visa and you have a white volvo and could they recommend a company to lease too .. you will have to get there contact at the Illinois dmv .... as long as they think you can not speak much English they will sell you a cdl around $250 .... a lot easier than going to school and training. ... now get yourself in a track suit and if anyone asks tell them your Ukrainian they will like you better ... your now a professional truck driver

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  9. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Sad, and the honest to God truth.

10. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I love the you should get your own authority posts to people with zero industry experience and no business sense. Then those same posters will be complaining in another thread about cheap brokers and carriers. It’s sad and funny at the same time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.