Questions for Stevens drivers!

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by sinister4g63, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I use one of those plastic clipboards with a compartment under them. I see a lot of drivers do the same. The one I have, has a solar powered calculator in the clip assembly. Very handy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sinister4g63

sinister4g63 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Awesome! I will have to get one! Yeah I am from a town a little north of Pittsburgh called New Castle. I have lived down here so long, I might as well be considered a Floridian.... I have always loved the Steelers, and always will! Property is getting so darn cheap up there, I have thought of getting a house up there after a few years on the road.

4. Johnny 99

Johnny 99 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Monongahela, Joey Montana was a year behind me in HS. Lot's of work up there for Drivers paying .45 a mile. And regional jobs too. I'm more interested in the Portland O area then PA though. I hear that's a beautiful part of the country. Mountains, Ocean and wild Salmon.

5. sinister4g63

Aug 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Oregon is gorgeous country in most places! Just too far from my family, my Mom and brother live in Fort Myers, FL and the rest of my family in New Castle.

6. Johnny 99

Johnny 99 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Well driving might give you the opportunity to see your familly more now since you can take your home time anywhere you want and Pitts. should be easy enough to get loads out of and too.

7. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    It rains more than most people can handle. Lot's of gray days.
    it is beautiful, tho. As for the salmon? almost a thing of the past.

8. sinister4g63

Aug 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah that is What I am hoping for! Hopefully Stevens is cool with me taking home time in New Castle every once in a while, just to see family a couple time's a year.... also maybe stop in Vegas if I'm on the west coast too, to see an ex-girlfriend that want s to hang out among other things :biggrin_255:

9. peto

peto Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2010
    denver,co
    theres a great company based out of denver co with an yard in new albany, ms. thats looking for drivers in your area called Furniture Row Express. i currently drive for them and can tell you that they're a top notch company. they pay practical miles and have home time every 2 weeks. if you're thinking about stevens, you should give them a call. they only have about 130 drivers and they dont have as much red tape as stevens. i know i worked there for 3 and a half years. if you're interested, give me a call, 970.313.8728 my name is peto. i'm not a recruiter, just a driver trying to pass on a good word for drivers who want to work for a good company. :biggrin_25525:

10. Lynette1

Lynette1 Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2010
    sandy, utah
    Hi,
    My son is finishing his trucking school this week, He is still not decided which company to go to. I have read several disturbing comments on people who have worked for Stevens and also Werner. Where can I get an unbiased assessment of trucking companies?

11. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    That might be fairly hard to do. Those of us with Stevens will tell you it's a great company, and I"m sure many Werner drivers will tell you the same.
    But here is something to ponder:
    More than 90% of people that go into trucking will not be in it a year later for a myriad of reasons. For many, the lifestyle does not fit them. Others find they don't fit the industry, and others yet just can't handle the long periods of time away from home. There are many other reasons too.
    People that don't make it with whatever company tend to bad mouth it, trying to shift the blame from their own lacking.
    Stevens has been around for 30 years. They have remained profitable during these last few troubled years, something that many trucking companies can't say. Good management is the reason.
    Stevens is a training company. This means that most people that start here will move on two to three years later to a company that may offer more customized benefits for the driver.
    Stevens is very demanding of their recruits. They stress safety, honesty and absolutely legal running. (This mainly pertains to Hours of Service...log books). There are many drivers out there that don't like to follow the rules, don't want to be told what to do or try and skirt the laws.
    Stevens won't allow that. They train and train and train about running legal. They emphasize safety and they preach integrity.
    This doesn't set well with a lot of drivers and they move on and will bad mouth Stevens in the process.
    There are many of us that are very happy here. We make good money, the company treats us well and we choose to be here.
    I can't speak for others, but for myself, I can tell you I am very happy here. I have been in trucking for more than 38 years, have driven for other companies and choose to remain with Stevens for all the reasons above.
    Your son will need to make up his own mind, however, he should take a couple days, head down to a local Loves, Pilot, Petros, J or TA and just speak to the drivers of the companies he's considering. Ask them what they think. This will be the best source of direct information.
    Good luck.

TLeaHeart Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.