Questions from a Dummy

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Oxbow, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Well I'm not completely stupid, but despite using CBs since the late 70s they have not become a hobby, and I know very little. Using an SWR meter is about as high tech as I get. That said, I have some questions. I am really interested in getting a radio that is a bit more powerful than standard CBs so that I can talk to vehicles within a mile or two at least; primarily my pilot cars when I use them. As it stands now, and through most of last winter anyway, by the time I squelch out that fella from New Mexico (I think) who is always going "back to the bench", I cannot hear or speak to others within eyeshot sometimes.

1. I have been watching a few videos and reading reviews on the Anytone radios. From this I have deduced that 10 meter is Ham radio and 11 is CB, and the Ares II has both built in without the need for modifications, correct?
    2. Is AM the CB frequencies?
    3. Will my standard antennas work with the Anytone radios, assuming they are tuned correctly? I have an NMO? antenna mounted through the top of my cab, which is steel (89 378 daycab).
    4. I believe the transmit on the Ares II is up to 15w on AM according to the literature that I read. Will I need to wire this directly to the batteries, or will the fused cirquit which I believe is 10 amps in my fuse panel suffice?
    And now I'm going to get way out in the weeds, at least for me. We have business radios on our equipment and handhelds that have three channels programmed in to them, but we really only use one, which is 136.82500. I believe this is VHF. There is no chance that this channel is available, or can be programmed into the ARES II, while still being able to access the CB channels is there? It would be extremely convenient for our situation if we could.

Thanks for any input, and I apologize for my lack of understanding. I just want radios to communicate. It is not a hobby of mine.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I know all of the loggers back home in Northern Cali run their CB’s and then they all run another one like it but it’s a different frequency and they get out further to each other. I’m not sure what the technical name is though.

Oxbow and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I believe the Canadians have pretty much switched to VHF.

tscottme and Rugerfan Thank this.
  5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Well I'll try to answer your questions.

1. You are correct, 10 meters is a ham band and 11 meters is the CB band. You will need to put the band selector on D for the CB band. You will need to move a small jumper inside the radio from pins 1-2, to pins 2-3 in order to talk on the CB channels. It's a jumper towards the front of the radio on the main board.

2. AM can be used on the CB frequencies or on the 10 meter ham frequencies. It depends on which letter the mode switch is on.

3. If your standard antennas are CB antennas, then yes it will work with the ARES II radio on the CB frequencies only. You can listen on the 10 meter band but not transmit without having high SWR.

4. If your radio only puts out 15 watts on AM, then the 10 amp fuse will be fine. If the sideband mode puts out 35 to 45 watts or so, then I would recommend running the power cables to the batteries, just to be safe.

I did see a video (I think from CB radio magazine) that showed that you can monitor the VHF frequency. If that's true then that's a pretty cool feature. You should be able to at least monitor the business band radios, if they are VHF radios.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Thank you very much!

7. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Your welcome.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If this is a VHF radio antenna, you can't use it.

That is VHF and no CBs can't be programmed to work on it.

rabbiporkchop and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    Your problem seems to be that with your current CB radio you can't talk to vehicles within a 2 mile radius. That is well within the capabilities of just about any CB radio setup at a modest cost. Here is what I would do.
    . First have the CB tested for output. Call a competent CB repair shop or better yet a Ham radio repair shop. Specify it is a CB radio, make and model. Ask if they can test for output and how much it would cost.
    . Then come back here to this topic in this CB forum and tell us the results. We need to know the make and model of CB. The make and size of antenna and type of coax.
    . Before you spend money on a costly high output replacement radio, you should absolutely learn how to check you truck's RF (radio frequency) grounding.
    NOTE: If your RF grounding is insufficient that can cause your CB radio to be damaged which might be the root cause of all your problems

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    We have 3 trucks and 5 pickups/service trucks that all have CBs. I swapped with a radio that I knew was good and all is fine with SWR and performance. Funny how much difference there is between radios despite brands, and even when they are functioning OK. A variety of antennas, but all check out well regarding SWR.

I bought anew Cobra 29 today and installed it. New to me is FM option on a CB.

There are no radio shops in my area. I wish there were; I'd likes to send all the non working radios that I have in and have them repaired if feasible.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  11. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Just about any CB Radio will talk 5 to 10 miles right out of the box...Your problem sounds like the antenna your using and where you have it placed...Properly tuned antenna on the roof will make a huge difference in how far you can talk...(and I'm not talking about antennas shorter than 6'...anything shorter than 6" is a waist of money)

rabbiporkchop and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.