Quick one day CDL schools vs 4 weeks or more?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Bevo, May 8, 2019.

1. Bevo

Bevo Bobtail Member

May 8, 2019
    Is it worth spending the money to go to a 4 week school compared to the much cheaper one day schools? I'm a newbie and looking to get my cld license but I'm worried the one day school wont teach me enough to passthe Texas driver's test. Has anyone readingthis got their cdl thru a one day school?Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It's not like the old days; today it's difficult to find decent work with that one day school. Some companies that hire drivers with only a cdl permit will hire you, but you still must go through their lengthy driver training program.
    Attend a 4 week school and be done with it
    Where are you in Texas?

NavigatorWife and Dreazz75 Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You could not learn in one day something this involved.

If it is one thing I find horrible is to watch someone move a semi for the first time in their lives both forward or backwards. The poor truck is going to suffer some.

Today's push button trucks, you could probably drive it. But you will discover that some automatic transmissions will turn the whole thing into a kids carnival bounce house trying to back a trailer anywhere. Or worse some rigs are programmed with a so called urge to move causing you to stand on the brakes.

You better off in school with trucks.

Even if you got a CDL under a shade tree or in school or whatever, your real schooling begins when dispatcher hands you your first papers on a load to go get far away.

5. Bevo

Bevo Bobtail Member

May 8, 2019
    Sorry I left out an important part of why I thought of going to the quick schools. I have been in contact with Maverick who would put me with a trainer until I'm ready to be on my own. My dad drove his whole life so I grew up around the industry but just recently I have had a strong desire to make this my future.

NavigatorWife and Dreazz75 Thank this.
  6. Bevo

Bevo Bobtail Member

May 8, 2019
    I guess my main question is "is it even possible for someone that doesnt have any experience behind the wheel to pass the driving test with only one day of training"? I have hauled 18ft car haulers for years drag racing but no semi's.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The school must have some inside connection with a DMV testing center. Most drivers fail the pre-trip inspection, which must be done correctly before the road test. Evidently, the one day school has some insider help to get a cdl that quickly. If Maverick will hire you, then go for it.
    Western Express (flatbed & dry van) hires drivers with a cdl and no experience or school, but they also have an extensive OJT training program for those drivers.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Speaking of failing, I would have to relearn the pretrip the way my state would require if it during my test. Otherwise my way would fail believe it or not. Never mind that my way is bought in blood, sweat and tears. The state has a specific process in a pretrip for example and it has to be by the prescribed book.

I have my own reliable way of dealing with ordinary company testers for pretrips. But that wont fly with the state tester...

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. Bevo

Bevo Bobtail Member

May 8, 2019
    Yes you are correct. They train you on the exact driver's test that you will go thru at the local dmv. They even take you on the same routes as you would when taking the test.

NavigatorWife and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok, make sure you take the truck through again and again and again. Run it in day time run it again at night, run that in reverse pattern, do it in sun do it in rain. Do it in rush.

Over and over and over. IF the trainer thinks you are addicted. tell him you are so soaking into that route that when it's test day with the DMV you would be giving the exam person a nice ride.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.