Quitting Smoking!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by defencerulez, Nov 16, 2010.

1. defencerulez

defencerulez Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    In between the LAKES!
    I am on vacation for 2 weeks and what the hack, I am going to quit smoking, I am 30 years old and I've smoked over half of my life!

I haven't smoke for over 72 hours (3 days) already, in my first attempt to quit!
    Day 1 - 15mg Nicorette patch, 3 piece of nicorette gum
    Day 2 - 15mg nicorette patch, 1 piece of nicorette gum
    Day 3 - Just the patch
    Day 4 - Just the patch

So far I am doing ok but I do see a few bumps ahead of the road, bump #1 will be when I get back to work with all the smokers and I am so used to smoking in my truck... Bump #2, when I go from 5mg patch eventually to no patch...

Any advice from ex smokers? What do I have to be aware of and keep myself away from?

I have a very strong will to quit, I am quitting for my health, my wealth and my wife!

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    The last sentence says it all !!

Good Luck driver !!

SheepDog Thanks this.
  4. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB
    Smoking does something for you, in some role. What you'll need to do, is find out what it is that it does for you(reduce stress, reduce anxiety, fill time, etc.), and then find something else to replace that need in place of smoking. Quitting is just as much psychological as it is physical, and good luck!

5. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    I'm 41 and quit smoking almost two years ago. I started smoking when I was 15.....to be cool. lol

I attempted to quit a couple times...once lasted for seven months. But then a girl broke my heart and I used it as an excuse to start up again.

IMO, if you truly do not want to quit, don't even try. It won't last. My step dad, whom I respected and loved more than any man, fought cancer for four years. During that time he mentioned I should stop smoking. I never did. Then I was there when he died and still didn't. Shortly thereafter, I was doing something and was completely winded. Took me a couple hours to get my wind back, it seemed. I quit right then. I've been in too good of shape to be so "out of shape" feeling.

The only thing I used was a little plastic sucker stick and gum. I chewed the heck out of it and the inside of my mouth for a while. But I knew I WANTED to quit...finally. There are times when I think a smoke would be good but I won't ever go back.

Besides truly wanting to quit, you have to break habits. The after dinner smoke, the smoking while driving, when you wake up with your coffee etc....

Sunflower seeds are wonderful....and of course gum.

Good luck. It's really not that hard once you set your mind to it. You just have to really want to.

6. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    Not smoking while you drink that morning coffee was the worse for me. I went the chantix route

SheepDog Thanks this.
  7. defencerulez

defencerulez Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    In between the LAKES!
    I totally agree, something I've always said is, drinking coffee can cost as much as smoking, and you waste a lot of time to stop for a coffee, and that's money... Whereas smoking I can just light up and I am good to go!

However, I try to not look for replacement. I don't even drink coffee and never have that habit. I kinda think I smoke just because I have to smoke to stay awake and get my body working... So far, I am alert and my body is function better than before, used to be a distance swimmer when I was a kid, tried that yesterday, of course I am not as good as when I was a kid. But at least I won't be the guy trying to catch a breath after just 400meter.

8. Bent Wrench

Bent Wrench Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Cornholio, OR
    Just quit, if your really want to, just do it.
    The gum, patch, pills, is like switching from wine to beer to quit drinking.

I'll tell you something else, I discovered that I was not addicted to tobacco! I was addicted to the crap they put in cigarettes. Switch brands every pack, and buy smokes you don't like, this will break the first chemical dependency. Then you can easily get up one morning and just not have that first smoke.

JUST QUIT! It is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

9. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    For those hooked bad,(me)-does anyone know anything about those electric cigs,& how well they work??

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I tried the electric cigarettes. They gagged me and I put them down. You probably have to learn how to use them with light draws.

I tried Nicorette and they upset my stomach from the juice. I tried the patch which didn't do anything. I tried Chantix and it depressed me.

I'm thinking of going cold turkey on the first. I cut my smoking in half today.

11. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I am telling you from experience....
    I am 42 and had been smoking since,,,hell, I smoked my first cigg ever when I was 7. My dad smoked and got the "C" and died 4 mo's later after he found out... I decided right than and there I was quiting. Lets see, shortly after turning 30, I used Welbutren and quit for 6.5 yrs straight. Well, than I joined the military and got deployed straight out of boot camp. Spent 6mo's in Camp Shelby, MS and within 3mo's I was smoking again. It seemed to me at the time that I had nothing to loose, hell I was going to war and might not ever come back. Never been to war before. Anyway, everyone in the Army, either smokes or dips, most everyone. Got home, and quit probably 3 times between 2008 to sept 2010. Nothing worked and I guess I just wasn't ready.

The truth is, you really have to want to quit, I mean really want it. Cant halfarse it or try, it has to be a forever. Chantix works like nothing else in this world. It works on your mind, not the habbit. I forget that I ever smoked until the subject comes up again, but I never crave like I did when I just went cold turkey.

I wish you the best friend,
    SheepDog

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.