Quitting without a notice is a poor move

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Apr 17, 2021.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I had a dispatcher call yelling at me and wanting to know why I wasn't in my truck delivering an urgent load he had assigned me. And man was I in trouble.
    I enjoyed explaining I was in my truck delivering a load, but for a different employer.
    I did give notice but it somehow didn't get passed on to dispatch. That was a fun conversation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Not really, just that there are situations on both sides that giving a notice shows a little bit better character just as there are times that no notice is acceptable, just not as a general rule.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    A driver popping a positive on a drug screen or losing their CDL is not really part of the employee/employer relationship. However, I do see the point you are trying to make. During my career, I tried to keep the lines of communication open with my company! Carriers that treat drivers like a number are one thing, then you have the already toxic work environment. Giving notices in these situations is at best problematic, Like I said before, it's a (redacted) shame this has happened.

wichris Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    As a general rule companies will not give notice. So you are saying it's fine for a company to be able to fire without notice as a general rule, but the employee must give notice as a general rule?

How screwed up is that if that is what you are saying....

bzinger and buddyd157 Thank this.
  6. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Already gave example of no notice from both sides. Other than the megas and shady carriers, i don't know any employers that don't try to work out problems. But i know many drivers who won't.

But i'm done. I guess other than a few flaky drivers over the years i've been blessed with the ones with some integrity.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What about layoffs? Walk in to work, get called into the office. "Here's your walking papers, have a nice day!" There's nothing an employee could have done to prevent that. If they need to trim the roster some people are going to disappear. Even worse if its a union gig because you can't trim the fat. Low man on the list might be the best employee.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And every company I've worked for has fired or laid off employees with no warning at all. This is from the tiny mom and pop (Was fired for stealing. Next month same loss of inventory. Oops, looks like we fired the wrong person) up to and including Microsoft (Sorry, project was canceled and we no longer need you) and everything in between.

Here is my work experience....
    My first job I lost when the owner retired and locked the doors with no notice.
    My next job was when I got fired for stealing with no proof (and no, I wasn't), and even kept firing other employees until they finally randomly fired the right one (I was friends with the manager, so know what happened) This was a gas station in my late teens and beer kept disappearing.
    My next few jobs were fixed length contracts. A few ended early with no warning, but most ended well.
    First job I quit wasn't really quitting. I asked for earned vacation time a couple months before my wedding. Was denied, and I took the vacation time anyway as well, who would not take their honeymoon? I was perfectly willing to come back after that, but they seen it as I quit.
    Quit with notice when I moved from Texas to Michigan.
    Only one job in Michigan and I gave a 8 month notice (told the owner I was getting a CDL as soon as I got tax returns, which took 8 months for reasons)
    Worked for Swift, gave no notice.
    Worked for a 1,000 driver local company and gave no notice as the terminal manager was an ahole.
    Now working for a 5,000 driver company that feels it's fine to layoff employees with no notice, so if I do move on I doubt I'll give notice as I'll just be doing what they do. Unless the terminal manager is worth actually giving that courtesy to. (The current one isn't)

bzinger and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I run a small trucking company with about 20 drivers (Not in the USA). In 36 years I have had maybe 7 or 8 drivers quit and maybe fired 20.Only 2 abscond (No warning just not pitch up). I usually hear via the gossip line if a driver is looking to leave. I call them in to see if they want to share their reasons. I then tell them , it's their prerogative but it will be better for all if they give notice.
    If they want time off to go for an interview they must just ask.
    In life not burning bridges pays off in the long run.
    Of those that quit a few came back a bit later.

wichris and John E. Thank this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i never asked for time off, for another job's interview. i just called out "sick"

i could have cared less when i was younger about burning bridges behind me. my #1 objective was to get the heck out..

i think if i recall, i only ONCE went back to an employer to work for them again. BIG MISTAKE.....

as said by someone else, never go back......!!!!

keep going forward.

it's a given in just about any industry, people quit, get fired, or laid off, or the place locks the gates.

we all handled our situations our way, no matter any so-called consequences.

and many of us...I KNOW I DID...got jobs...!!!!!

in the end, no matter the company, even the mom and pop places, yes, they know your name, where you live, they know all about your family, yada,yada, yada...

but you're still JUST A NUMBER when they HAVE TO LET YOU GO TOO....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    bzinger Thanks this.
  11. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    ya quitting without noticing is right up there with bank closing the company doors while all drivers are out on the road and their fuel cards suddenly become inactive

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.