R E West Trucking

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by tntim, Feb 28, 2014.

1. JohnboyTrucker

JohnboyTrucker Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Clarksville, Tn
    They actually are requiring everyone to get a passport and TWIC now on their dime which is ok by me! I did message him and explain the pay and water heaters. It's not bad. I'm not unloading everyday..maybe once a week. I liked being close to home during my orientation/training and knowing I'm near a dropyard. Another reason I chose them. They may have not been so great in the past, I don't know..but they're awesome enough in my book that I have turned Averitt down twice.

bigmike77 and HHC Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HHC

HHC Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2014
    I have a passport already.
    I am more than willing to unload a trailer once a week for an extra 280 per month. I have done it for much less in my life.

bigmike77 and JohnboyTrucker Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I unloaded my own reefer trailers for years & pocketed the lumper money. Usually made around $200 a week doing that and sometimes $500 a week. The company didn't care either; said we could hire a lumper or do it ourselves and make the same as the lumper. I liked those vinegar loads out of Crossville; paid $175.00 to unload and all I had to do is take one layer off each pallet. Good money for about 1 hr. work.

There's a driver that lives around Chattanooga that works for RE West and really likes the company.

bigmike77 and JohnboyTrucker Thank this.
  5. JohnboyTrucker

Jul 25, 2014
    Clarksville, Tn
    Every company has pros and cons. I haven't found many cons with this one so far. Not to mention I don't really want to be a job jumper this early in the game. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. The money I get for the unloads pays my insurance cost and on top of that I get 2600 miles minimum per week. I'm cool with that. :)

bigmike77 Thanks this.
  6. HHC

HHC Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2014
    That's sound reasoning.

JohnboyTrucker Thanks this.
  7. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    I was there a few months ago and I left because of the terribly low pay.
    .32 and $70 to unload water heaters is cheap...
    Sometimes I spent 5-6 hours getting all those water heaters organized.. plus unloading 30000 pounds of them myself by hand, bring them down... putting them on pallets etc.
    There can be 200+ water heaters in a trailer.
    $70 is a joke, I can drive 3 hours and make more money than if i was dealing with water heaters.
    Your clock is winding down unloading that entire time.
    The con is they pay very very low, lower that most all trucking companies.

Look if you're happy that's all that matters.
    I wasn't happy there because I know I was being taken advantage of financially working there and knew I could do better.
    I am now and the grass is greener.. I earn $1150-$1300 a week where I'm at now, I never ever saw anything close to 4 figures at RE West.
    If you compare the pay of RE West vs everybody else you'll see I'm telling you the truth about their low pay.

8. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR

See that there $175 to unload a Reefer and it takes an hour of work.

VS RE WEST where it takes hours of work for $100 LESS.

That right there is what I'm talking about

9. JohnboyTrucker

Jul 25, 2014
    Clarksville, Tn
    I'm a beginner, so no matter where I go right now, my pay is gonna be lower. If I go to Averitt I'll make .37 cpm but get way fewer miles. I'm better off staying where I am until I have a year at least under my belt. Nobody wants to pay a beginner very much. Just the rules of the game I guess.

10. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Dunno about Averitt miles because I haven't worked there besides you can get home every week, they pay better than average. Also they have dedicated accounts but I don't know if a noob can get on those.

RE West is fine to get your CDL without a contract, suck it up and 6 months later go elsewhere. Just with 6 months these days the money is out there.

JohnboyTrucker Thanks this.
  11. jlawson1979

jlawson1979 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Hey, I live in Cleveland, Tn. Can you give me an idea on your location? They told me I'd be out 10-12 days for my location and I see you posted that you're home on weekends. Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.