Radiator stop leak

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by codyb86, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Boul1234

Boul1234 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Moonbeam, Ontario
    Had never heard of it before but being in something as simple as a hub where there is little to no pressure in the lube other than what is built from temperature change I imagine it would work

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've tried a few Lucas products. Not a believer. Tried their power steering stop leak and it didn't do SFA. I'll pour a little bit of their stabilizer in my pickup at oil change time but I know #### well the only reason it quiets anything down is because it just thickens the oil a bit. Would probably get the same results by switching from 5W-20 to 5W-30 lol.

Shawn2130 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Your experience is waaay different with mine.
    I had over 300,000 on a 3302 in a lincoln town car that had been doing the rattling thing upon startup for way over a hundred thousand miles, someone told me that lucas would stop that and it did. I sold it with 37,000 on it and it had never rattled again.
    I blew a seal out of my gearbox coming out of Alaska once, it would drain my power steering empty in a couple hundred miles. I bought enough lucas to fill it up and had a gear box shipped up to great falls MT, that lucas got me to iowa, where I loaded and back to great falls where I put a new one on.

mhyn Thanks this.
  5. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I heard a rumor that Lucas was started by a former driver

mhyn Thanks this.
  6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    could be. they also have products related to racing.

7. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    It was: Lucas Oil - Wikipedia

First paragraph

mhyn Thanks this.
  8. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Lucas is just base oil, by adding Lucas you just dilute the detergents and friction modifiers, it's worse to add it to your oil. It doesn't have any zinc to help with cam followers and cams, no detergents to carry soot away and prevent deposits, it's all snake oil. If it wasn't it wouldn't be an additive and people would only be running it in their engines. The best thing to do is find an oil additive with hefty amounts of ZDPE, that was removed because it destroys the catalyst in modern day catalytic converters.

Diesel Dave and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Exactly what I've suspected. Common sense says thickening up a fluid will slow a leak or take up a little bit of excess clearance.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  10. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I bet you have a Ford!! I do to! My 05 has had timing/cam trouble since I bought it with 200,000 miles. Ford dealer told me it needed a new engine it was going to blow soon. I put timing chains and a catalytic converters in it and fixed the left exhaust manifold, and installed a manual oil psi gauge. Took a few miles to get the rattles worked out of the lifters by upping the viscosity and getting the warm idle psi up above 25.

So I’ve been putting 15w-40 since 210,000. She just rolled over 240,000. Still quiet except for the exhaust manifold that just opened up.....

Yes a new engine may have been what it should have had, but who has $6000 to put in a $2000 truck? Am I a fan of Lucas? not really, but understanding how everything works is beneficial and I can see its place.

AModelCat and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  11. Gtrux

Gtrux Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Does the 2014 volvo vnl 780 truck have a coolant filter and of so where is it located?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.