Radio Rambos

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Barbeque, Oct 9, 2019.

1. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Only 30% of trucks even have a cb so whats the difference?

When youre trapped in the fast lane of a parking lot and need to get 3 lanes over, you get out of your truck, walk over and physically speak to the 4 or 5 other vehicles that you need to hold still for you to do it.

"Hey bud i'll make ya a deal. You let me over and i'll lead you out." No one refuses that. And then a convoy naturally follows.

640 saves me once a while. Cedar bluff, lovell road, 11w, 162/140, 129, 169, 70, 321, 441, 411 to 338. Theres probably a dozen more i dont know.

lots of the plugs i hit have been due to rockwood mountain trying to slide down to cardiff. Usually it means jumping off at 70 or 27 and coming up backside of the plateau to westel or ozone but thats for mountain drivers.

I spent months putting help and kindness out into the radio and enduring vicious cruel nastyness coming back into my cab over anything someone could possibly find to grumble about. Nope. I hardly see my kids. Im not gonna come home angry because of some stranger. No one ever taught me a go around, and i dont owe the entire world.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I do not know a lot about gps's and exactly nothing about apps, just have nevcer used them.
    The other day I needed to go to a business I didn't know where it was located, my helper says no problem, so we go by his gps. Ok without knowing where it was, I will admit it got us there, but If I would have called and ask them where they were, I could have easily driven there faster going a much easier route.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Sounds as though you were already at least somewhat familiar with the area.

5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    With an old style phone call, it shouldn't have made a difference. lol
    I will say I have been given some bad directions a time or three over the years though too.

I would have a hard time expecting an app to tell me a cow truck just turned over over the crest of a hill I was climbing, blocking the whole road. As far as I am concerned a cb is a tool that can never be replaced by any app.
    That said, am not against using the latest technology too, but there are limitations to everything as to what it can do.
    The cb is not as good of a tool as it once was, but that is drivers faults, not the cbs.

6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    ^this. It’s a sign of the times

FlaSwampRat and starmac Thank this.
  7. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    I will put a satelite image and a phone call to the location up against any other technology.

Countries launch rockets at targets by aerial mapping, not CB or handwritten paper directions. I can find good timber and deer bedding in another state by satellite and topo imagery. Getting to an industrial park is pretty easy. You can check for tight corners, look to see if there is truck traffic on that road, flip to topo, look for creeks and light bridges then call FD or hwy dept and ask if its okay for trucks.

Ive gotten way more bad directions from random people.

8. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    QUOTE: "I spent months putting help and kindness out into the radio and enduring vicious cruel nastyness coming back into my cab over anything someone could possibly find to grumble about. Nope. I hardly see my kids. Im not gonna come home angry because of some stranger. No one ever taught me a go around, and i dont owe the entire world."

I don't let other folks determine how I feel, whether it be on the Internet, on the radio, or in person. I meet folks in each dimension, and some are nasty but most are friendly. It may seem that most folks on the CB are the nasty types because they're the ones who spend more of their time to assert their miserable selves trying to make others equally miserable. Those I tune out and never interact with. I certainly will not let them transfer to me a miserable outlook.

starmac Thanks this.
  9. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    Well, youre better than me. A mean world gets to me. I am happier with it off and i reserve the right to assist who i choose. I choose to stop and help a lot more trucks than most people would. I also wouldnt leave on a bad music station just because it doesnt control me. Id change it.

Doesnt really work when everyone is on 19. If they made a channel just for angry douche noodles to go scream on id put my radio back on.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    So many new idiots looking out for themselves have no idea what can happen. Never mind using a hand held device to check the the traffic app is illegal and dangerous, most still have no idea what's lying around the next curve until they get there.

I laugh at all these loser employee truck drivers that are only driving a truck as a last resort because they are unemployable in any other field, that have no desire to be a truck driver, that make the radio come alive when traffic stops. If the CB was on they would have known already, even though it just happened.

They would also have known about the tow truck on the shoulder around the curve.
    They would also be able to communicate with the over width truck ahead of them.
    They would be able to hear the other flat bed in the truck stop parking lot tell them you can have my spot I'm leaving in 5 minutes.
    He would also be able to hear me tell him he had a flat tire or he was dropping his edge protectors all over the road or.......his side box was open or......he was dragging a strap or.....his load shifted or......he had a loose chain or...... his back door was open or...... a 4 wheeler just went in the middle at MM 722 and there is black ice between 715 and 735 or...... that his turbo was slobbering oil all over the passenger side of his truck.....

There are countless reasons to have a radio but the idiot door slammer will never know because he is oblivious and only concerned with himself. It's laughable......these morons don't know what they don't know. But they think they are experienced professionals.....after all they've been trucking a whole year now.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  11. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.