Radio voltage supply

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by craig_sez, Feb 11, 2019.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    So i got a stryker 955..Used the factory power wire at 1st then upgraded to a shop prefabbed so called 12ga..Sence then i got a power supply wire from bob's cb thats supposed to be a true 12ga from a galaxy 95t(i reattached the lil plugs to fit my radio to the 12 ga)...
    So anyways my question is ..How can i keep my voltage up to the 14.4 my radio was tuned at in full power cause at full radio power it drops to 13.9 to 14 v..Power is direct from power goin to fuse box and same with ground,i crimped the ends that go in the back of the radio for a tight fit/better connection and did the same for my fuseable link(automotive style not the cheap lil glass tube type)..
    Im sure im missing something but my only other thought is doin a quick disconnect deal with a thicker ga wire again like a 10ga or running one of those capacitors...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Start with maximum amp draw. Then total length of lead. There’s a deduction for the fuse. Hot weather, also a deduction.

Online calculators showing PERCENT voltage drop are what to use.

Basically, 6-ga for a big truck short run and 4 for one longer. (Assuming 10’ and 12’)

It’s the length of the run that is the problem.

Meteorgray and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    why would anyone tune the radio at 14.4?

5. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Things are different in the NM desert, RL.

6. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

I don’t think you can keep it at 14.4 V, have you put a meter on the batteries to see what the alternator is putting out? Most alternators run around 14.2 V as a rule.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK got it, I am behind the times with this new new engineering, like the new new math. Some of these CB techs have changed how electrons work from what I heard.

To the op, go get a new alternator with an external remotely adjustable voltage, crank it up at the alternator to 15.7 volts so you can see 14.4 at the radio when it is keyed.

8. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Leece-Neville Ext Adj. 6.5 Frame 300A High Output

Craig, tell the boss man your brand-new truck will need the above.

And a Freightliner conversion kit from their LEO/Mil-Spec Parts Group.

Conversion time should be under [20] shop hours.

Seriously, here’s what I’d try:

1). Shortest run (radio in TAC COMM TRC-1) on dash.

2). 3’? 4’? Run to that FL circuit box. Use Blue Sea Termination Fuse Holders.

3). Super-fine strand welding cable (big as the FL feeds). Step it down size-wise the last foot or less.

As I see it, the run straight to BATT is too far and has too many bends.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017

Do you use heat shrink or electrical tape to keep the blue sea termination fuse holders from shorting on something?

I think your just throwing money at a problem that’s not really a problem. At least Craig is.

10. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    I was wondering about that too.

11. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I suppose the extra tenths-of-a-volt provide a few extra watts of output, but I doubt it adds any significant benefit.

Craig, is that the effect of 14.0v compared with 14.4v relative to your tune, a few more watts' output? Or, is there something else that happens at the lower voltage?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.