Railroad Crossing Alert

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by sivicman, Apr 18, 2014.

1. sivicman

sivicman Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Perrysburg, OH
    Is there a truckers GPS on the market that will give you an audio warning when approaching a railroad crossing when carrying haz-mat? If you don't carry haz-mat all the time it's easy to forget to stop at a RR crossing when placarded, especicially when running LTL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    In all fairness, can't you quickly overlook the route on a garmin/RandMcnally/Cobra and see all the tracks?
    Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna second guess you! Especially when DOT is throwing, what is it now...10k fines at guys failing to stop at RR crossings?

I'm pretty up-to-date on all the GPS units specializing in big trucks, one doesn't come to mind. I'd say if any of them was gonna do it, it'd be the newer Garmins, and I know they don't.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    With due respect,quit forgetting.You as a trk drivers must remember especially when haulng hazmat.

Skydivedavec and AXE Thank this.
  5. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I agree with patty. But I agree it's easy to forget...

How about putting a small sticky note in the center of your speedometer when you're hauling HAZMAT? Maybe just a printed "RR". Doubtful you'd ever forget with that there. Hope this helps.

I hang a florescent marker tape from my visor when I'm unloading and chocked in. If you forget, and pull out over one of those metal chocks, you'll flat. The tape reminds me to unchock before I move. Dumb, but it never fails.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  6. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    "Why is this tape on my dash...OH #### IT!"

Ebola Guy and MondoTrucker Thank this.
  7. Reycer

Reycer Medium Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ohio
    Just make it a habit to stop anyways. Hazmat or not them you will have no problems.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  8. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    You forget and you will pay dearly for that mistake. By the time you're done, it will be good to take an extended vacation for about 60 days.
    Don't forget now !!

9. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    This would be a GREAT feature -- especially since the units would already know you have hazmat when utilizing the hazmat routing options.

I currently use a red dry erase marker to write "RxR" in big letters on my windshield. But it still is easy to forget on country highways where they don't have a special lane for stopping vehicles.

10. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    I loaded my Garmin 465 (a truck one) with a HM load and made a route that went over tracks. Nothing was highlighted or noted. But now that you have brought it up, it would be a good idea. It should be suggested to them.

With that being said, when I have pulled a HM load, it did route me around that tunnel in Minneapolis (I-94). And I did not listen to that GPS one bit and followed the posted signs.

Stinky Dairy Air and eeb Thank this.
  11. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Good idea to add an alarm, not always a good idea to totally rely on a GPS unit.

Ebola Guy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.