Rain Gear

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by cmbtmedic, Sep 17, 2018.

1. cmbtmedic

cmbtmedic Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Elizabethton, TN
    Since Florence has made landfall and been drenching portions of the east coast for a couple days now, seems like the perfect opportunity to ask for input on the rain gear everyone is using. I currently have a set of the black FroggToggs. They’re ok but I’m in the market for something new. I’m looking for something lightweight and very breathable. I’ve tried a couple different rain suits over the years and my experience has been that the smallest amount of physical work performed while in a rain suit equates to being soaked with sweat instead of rain. I think I’d rather be soaked with the rain....it doesn’t smell as bad. If anybody has found anything breathable but also keeps the rain out, I’m all ears. Thanks in advance.

andhe78 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

I generally take the rain soaking working on flat bed provided the metal does not conduct electricity. (There are some that does, but I take care to stand on wood deck or never to complete a contact across the heart with both hands. If I am going to take a lightning hit it's going to have to run down the leg from the arm or head.

The soaking provides a side benefit of cooling and washing. It is silly to tarp a secured load after it's been thundred on and rained on to where you cannot see the end of your tractor trailer at times for 3 hours while you toss chain and strap)

If this is a winter situation with temperatues below 65 (Loss of Core Temperature leading to mental confusion, poor heart timing, lack of muscle strength, loss of fine motor coordination don't you love those big words.. ow...

Or in a storm that has winter freezing with sleet or hail (Even in a summer storm with hardhat, which wont matter against 5 inch stones falling at 130 mph into your head.. it's coming through. You see a big light and then nothing, dead so fast you are enterally wondering what that big light was all about.

I'll wear a full set of hood, torso and pants with partial rubber lowers and GI leather uppers for a leakproof shoes and water proof thinsulate gloves if I can find some. Under that will be several layers if necessary of clothing. The oilskin (Ocean term... I use) is carefully sized to accept the biggest winter coat I use on one (They are not that expensive.. but you would pay the whole of Camelot and it's value not to freeze to death) And of course they are sized to accept the big Colt in it's holster etc so when I go out into public as a carry. It will have to be a absolute necessity for me to come out of my house onto the road. Such as taking Ex to the ER at the VA for example.

tucker and cmbtmedic Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I think you just need to strip down to your underwear and towel off afterwards.

Emgee, Aamcotrans and cmbtmedic Thank this.
  6. cmbtmedic

cmbtmedic Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Elizabethton, TN
    That’s what I’ve been doing lately lol. Drying off and changing clothes 2-3 times per day when it’s raining gets old though. And I’ll check that post. Thanks guys.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Rain gear? Grundens or Helly Hansen. Spendy but worth it.

krupa530, DSK333 and cmbtmedic Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What I said about lighting only applies to direct strikes or side strikes.

It does NOT protect against ground strikes that hit the ground and travels via wet to you any way it can. YOU the human being has many salts and in a field is the biggest absolute conductor that will be bit first if at all possible by the lighting bolt when it reaches enough power to strike.

I survived two ground strikes and one side strike so far in my life. The side was not that bad, I was sufficiently far enough from it to get a tickle. (Some wake up call.. sheesh..) and one direct strike hit a major commercial level service mains on my building 8 feet from my window where I was at and that strike went down, took out the entire wall of electrical for two entire buildings divided further into two businesses and 9 individual homes, all those meters and mains were destroyed as was half the contents of our basement below the bar. The Power company made good on everything within hours including the financial loss. That fire was a near thing though. 1930's era building and hardwood painted and varnished in the old way. It would have gone up with us in it. (And the customers too.) Some were sitting on stools on top of plank and joist flooring with 3 feet of fire below that racing along the ceiling for the CO2 storage and keg area. We got them out of there, the customers.

9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I used Frogg Toggs for a couple hours. Total junk. Not made for flatbedding or work type duty. I'll be investigating those links above because OP has the right idea!

cmbtmedic Thanks this.
  10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I just bought some of the frog toggs over the weekend. I don’t need rain gear very often. Maybe 5 it 6 times a year tops? I like panchos but if it’s windy they suck. I can’t seem to find a pancho that will last more than 1 or 2 uses.

I figured I’d try the frogs. Seemed comfortable and good range of motion compared to anything else in the store. The only thing I didn’t like was not a high visibility color. I’m going to ware my HV vest over it I guess?

11. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Anything with Helly Hansen written on it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.