Rand McNally Support Thread. (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Radecki

Radecki Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Is there software that would allow me to back up the system on the TND 80 tablet?

Due to lack of options I decided to go ahead and send it in for repairs.
    I would just like a way to back it up and be able to restore it if another update totally screws up the whole thing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I am afraid that you will no longer be able to get technical support here anymore.
    RM tech support is all you will have now.

4. Radecki

Radecki Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2018
    I'm not sure suggestions to use different software on a tablet or purchasing a different gps counts as technical support...
    But I'm ok with not getting this kind of support in that case.

5. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Mark will not be responding to any messages any longer. So unless one of here can help with past knowledge, RM support is all that is left and they are becoming less reliable each week.
    I don't know if its their way of quietly getting out of the market or what but a lot of drivers are being left in the dark.

northbamatrucker Thanks this.
  6. Reddot

Reddot Bobtail Member

May 28, 2017
    I have a TND 540 and for some reason the speed indicated on the unit keeps flashing between the current speed and zero, does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it.

its not a speed warning, and the map is still tracking the truck just fine, even the mileage is tracking correctly, I've checked settings, and did a couple searches on Google and a few other places, and can't seem to find any reason for it to be doing this.

If I hard reset the unit, it fixes it... for a while, but then it comes back within a few hours.

Ive tried turning all warning indicators off, switching from visual to audio only, adjusting speeding warning, even turning it off, but it happens even at low speeds in and around town.

Any ideas?

7. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    Sorry to see Mark no longer offering help, but poster above is correct RM support is getting worse. Anyone else have a tnd80? If so are any of you having issues with the active slice not staying connected to the unit (the new overdryves might be having similar issues I don't know) they told me to always use the slice for charging the unit (don't know why then they put a charging port on the side of the unit) but anyone here who has driven enough of our roads knows things bounce around. The magnet was a novel idea, but a good connection can't be maintained. I am on my second slice. That was the only thing replaced under warranty. Have already had to send it in because it bounced off of mount and screen broke. Now the issue of it powering down because of no charging I have to send it in again. Since I got it in 2016, it's going to be another 100 or so(that's if they can get it fixed)

8. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Honestly - and i hate to say this. I wouldn't bothoer fixing it again. if its not the slice again, it will be something else soon. I had the THD80 , 730 &740, and slowly had issues with all of them. Some were fixed for awhile but nothing more than 3 months before another issue. and the maps are NEVER up to date.
    So i finally went to a App based GPS. NO Issues, maps updated daily, not 2 yrs, does everything RM did and way more, customer service is there and responds with in the hour with a fix not 2 weeks later with send it in and we will try. I pay @ $144 year in service, so in @ 4 yrs i have spent what i would have on the RM, but wait, the RM will never last 4 yrs and is outdated within 2yrs. I run it on a 10 inch tab along with Iheart in the background, and im as happy as can be.
    Personally i went with Smart Truck 2. If interested, there is a thread for it.
    but there is also CoPilot - which i have also used.

9. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma

Thanks will check those options out.

10. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I had a RM years ago and loved it.
    Purchased a new 730 a couple of years ago.
    The is new unit will not automatically change screen brightness at dawn and dusk. I have to manually open the brightness screen and then it changes. Old unit did that automatically.

archangelic peon Thanks this.
  11. truckpc

truckpc Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2010
    the new software added
    day/night auto-switch offset
    option to allow you to switch at x minutes offset.
    you may want to set the offset to 0.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.