Rand McNally VS Garmin = HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by All-American82, May 11, 2019.

1. All-American82

All-American82 Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    Hello everyone,

Ok, I am in the market for a new GPS. I had a GARMIN DEZI770 and it just recently took a dump. 3 years back I had a RM 720 that I liked alot until IT took a dump. Now for ME I liked the "operation" of the RM better than the GARMIN. It just seemed more intuitive.
    My 720 lasted 4 years and my 770 lasted 3 years. So i feel like they were BOTH good and BOTH had their good points. But ultimately I actually like the intuitiveness of the RM better.
    I am now looking at the RM 740 AND the GARMIN 780 I have enough "rewards points" to get either one for "free". Like I said, I liked BOTH but, I'm torn because ultimately, I liked the "menu options" on the 720 better. BUT, I know that the newest generations (respectively) may be different now.

So I would like some feedback from those of you who have the most recent models of GARMIN and RM.
    What do you like the BEST and the least about each one. I REALLY don't want to get into a "YOU SUCK fest" here. I just want to know what you like best and least about both.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    While I can’t speak to the Garmin units, I’ve had both the RM 730 and now the RM 740... I like the improvements and added options they made between the two models ... I think that there is still A LOT that they could do with it now that they have added WiFi connectivity to the 740 (like automatically downloading the satellite view of your destination, etc) but maybe they will make better use of its WiFi options in the RM750 model.

So, it’s nit the comparison you requested but if you preferred the RM before, I think you will appreciate the improvements that have been made to the models beyond the RM720.

Just my Two Cents Worth
    Good Luck with your new GPS

All-American82 Thanks this.
  4. jdimes

jdimes Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2011
    somewhere, usa
    I prefer the Garmin~my RM would to try have me in some places not conducive for trucks, coworker and I were having the same issues

All-American82 and Metallica88 Thank this.
  5. My Dog

My Dog Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Get a Garmin. Rand McNally is JUNK.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  6. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    First thing that upsets me about Garmin dezl is.
    When I look up a poi (such as truck stop) close to dest. It shows where the poi I's and where I currently am. But does not show it flag where my dest is.

When I make a route that includes more than 1 stop. It just draws a single purple line from all the stops. The flags that indicate stop locations should be numbered. Or the route line should change color after each stop.

All-American82 Thanks this.
  7. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Why choose. I use both simultaneously. Sometimes one has the address I need, the other doesn't . Sometimes one gives me ridiculous routing because of some phantom weight limit that doesn't exist, the other doesn't. ETC. Combined with my experience and real world data, I can harmonize all three sources, and make some informed decisions. Add Google maps to the equation occasionally and I am rarely caught in need.

8. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    I wonder if any of the new ones fixed the routing problem where it always seems to want to keep you on interstates when there are perfectly fine alternate routes that would save you lots of miles.

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Set your trailer with to 96" and trailer length to 48'. It will route you though the woods.

I don't think you need to worry about 48'+ trailer length unless you are running through Idaho.

Or maybe Georgia. they shut down alot of truck routes because that can't afford to repave the roads...

TokyoJoe and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  10. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Maybe it's the 96 because my trailer is already set to 48. Thanks I'll try that.

skellr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.