Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hell Mack, I can't believe he would actually admit to that!:eek:

Dinomite Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Thought get lucky today, It's a no go!
    A very old WARD driver received his new route last week. Followed him stop to stop past 6 working days. Never in a hurry, but this driver is dictating my normal pace and just talks away at the receivers, those 6 stops is killing my normal time of watching soccer mums in yoga pants going to the fitness place during my lunch break :angry4:

crazeydude and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That's a good way to make me dislike somebody in a hurry. I don't appreciate being held up because somebody else wants to flap his jaws.

Mike2633 and Gearjammin' Penguin Thank this.
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    so, it's my week to just run out and deliver and come back. But lo and behold, what's in my pouch monday morning? A backhaul. Ok, usual place, but wrong week. Whatever, it pays $38 dollars and basically takes 40 minutes. it's well worth doing. Says 11am tuesday. usual time.

I have to work hard monday to make sure i've quit in time so I get my 10 hours in because it takes 6 hours to get there. I start up this morning, 10 hrs, 14 minutes after going off duty. (hotel, another story). I get to the place at 10:50. Perfect. There's no point in showing up early to a food warehouse, you'll just sit there. I get checked in, get a door and as I"m putting down the liftgate, the phone rings. It's the Mrs Personality of driver supervisors. (dispatcher, i suppose you would say). "where are you?, are you at your backhaul?" (side note, there are TWO FREAKING TRACKING DEVICES ON THE TRUCK AND IN THE POUCH. Why is the first question always "where are you?")

Uh, yeah, just backing into the door now, right on time for my 11am.

Someone changed it to 9am and they are wondering where you are.

Well
    a. no one told me
    b. my paperwork says 11am (and i made a copy before turning it in)
    c. IT'S NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE. LEARN TO DO MATH!!!!!!!!

morons, I work with morons.

Picked up in 45 minutes. I did ask the supplier, they said someone from my company changed the appointment time.

6. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Oh yeah..."someone" changed the time. Curious how you never ever find out who that "someone" was, innit?

Must've been gremlins. :rolleyes:

7. LoneCowboy

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    curious how they never ask the driver.

idiots

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  8. LoneCowboy

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    Pepsi guy delivering Wendy's next to one of my stops backed into the stucco building next door. And there were two of them (helper?). He had a spotter. Pretty sure that is going to go badly. Be careful out there.

Radman and Mike2633 Thank this.
  9. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    L-Cowboy,
    I have a question I am vaguely interested in doing chains and I could switch to the chain division at GFS if I wanted, but the only real difference between chains and broad line at GFS from a work stand point is heavier route longer trailer maybe sometimes the chain people pull 28' and 2-3 day routes sometimes. Plus I would have to move to Pittsburgh.

I've thought about MBM just because you guys do more lift gate and pallet jack stuff and it's not floor loaded ramp the stuff down on and on and on it goes.

My question is and I know it's not an exact science, but are a lot of chain resturants as far as parking lots and what not designed in a similar fashion when they can be.
    It's like gas stations certain gas station oil brands like BP's in the Cleveland area are all kind of laid out similarly. Clark was another good example Clark (now gone) knew exactly how big to make there gas stations 1-acre or so and they knew how big there tanker trucks were and how it would all work.

Just wondering if you know okay older Dennys are laid out like this and newer Denny's are laid out like this. I know it's not exact and there are exceptions to the rule, but generally every Olive Garden or Red Lobster kind of has the same design as far as where the back door is and how the parking lot is made so you know how to get the truck around.

10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    You know, I'm a pretty laid-back guy. I could take the unseasonable humidity in stride. I could even tolerate taking two tries and about 45 minutes to NOT deliver a 20# box because none of the five people I talked to at "City of (deleted)"* could sign for it or knew anything about it. :mad:

I could even take running 1000# pallets uphill, and the 325# pallet to one of those dinky shopping mall stores that isn't in the slightest equipped for a truck delivery(you veteran P&D guys know exactly how that goes). :rolleyes:

But when the handheld that my company pays about $4000 each for, decides to go completely insane and make me spend the rest of my day on the phone doing what should be automatic...well, that's when I want to slap some folks around at Corporate.

"Look here, you jackholes, if the equipment is failing to operate as advertised, you tell these fools to make it work right or give us our money back. If someone sold me even one of these things for that price, let alone the zillion you bought, I'd be getting lawyers involved."

(sigh) This is why they don't let the drivers in on their decisions...because we might inject some common sense into the process, and making sense is not company policy. :confused:

* This is what I pay taxes for?? I have a suggestion for you guys, and the horse you rode in on, and its mother...

11. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    I'm making a return to Trucking... Well kind of. It's a part time job. I'm gonna be operating a heavy wrecker. Looking to buy a new truck and save up for a house and all

road_runner, Radman and Mike2633 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.