Rant on low bridges

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by davenjeip, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

i guess those of us who use a map...and a phone and have been doin that way for many years...coast to coast..chicago, new york..etc and never hit a bridge have been doin it the wrong way:biggrin_25513:

critters Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I an more concerned about the low clearance in some of the old plants out here

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I know it's low tech but wouldn't a more cost effective and quicker solution be to simply string a cable and hang some noisemakers at height 500 feet from the bridge? I've see that done at mall parking garages and the entrances to the NYC tunnels, it's a pretty effective deterrent.

Heck in some heavy truck areas in Texas/Arkansas they put up those "we don't want no stinking truckers" arches in parking lot driveways. Gets my attention (and ticks me off, but that's another story)

As for which GPS company to contact? That's easy ALL OF THEM!

5. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    new york just needs to accurately display the bridge heights
    but thats too much like right

flyingmusician Thanks this.
  6. EZX1100

Aug 18, 2012
    http://fmcsa.dot.gov/about/outreach/education/bridge-strikes.aspx

these folks are ridiculous

[TABLE="width: 0, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="width: 960, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="class: leftNavAndContenttable, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: contentarea, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 2"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 100%, colspan: 2"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: titleheadline, width: 100%, colspan: 2"][h=2]Preventing Bridge Strikes[/h][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: left"][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][​IMG] Print [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Bridge strikes by large trucks and buses are a serious safety hazard resulting in injury and loss of life, damage to infrastructure, interruption of commerce, and delays in travel times.
    The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) believes bridge strikes are avoidable through better awareness of route restrictions -- by paying closer attention to road signs and by using only those electronic navigation systems intended for trucks and buses.
    The FMCSA wants to ensure that its State and local law enforcement partners understand that a driver may be fined for failing to comply with posted road signs, and that the citation may be recorded against a motor carrier's Safety Measurement System scores.
    The Agency will continue to work with its State partners and the truck and bus industries to prevent bridge strikes. These efforts will include distributing the Agency's new visor card "GPS Selection Guide for CMVs." The Agency will also work with commercial driver training school associations to encourage them to include electronic navigation system selection information in their training programs. And FMCSA will consider electronic navigation system selection as it prepares to move forward with the entry-level driver training rule required by the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21) reauthorization legislation.
    Questions and answers relating to bridge strikes are listed below.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

7. EZX1100

Aug 18, 2012
  8. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    looks like prices at wal mart just went up.

9. ColoradoGreen

ColoradoGreen Heavy Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
  10. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Alot of the bridges are marked really low I drive a car carrier and have been out in the woods and come up on a few bridges saying like 13"8 and I used my height stick to check they where well over a foot difference in the markings. I know there not all that way but the ones i have checked where.

Since 94 never hit one and dont want to start anytime soon I dont use GPS for bridges as they can be wrong i do it the old school way open your eyes and look lol

Logan76 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.