Rate per Mile for Owner Operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by St Regis, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Hey it looks like a bunch of stupid truck drivers all agreed on something . ...lol

No hard feelings dude. We just can't make money at the rate offered. Sorry.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It boils down to this, good local home every night company drivers make 65k easy. Plus full benefits matching 401k paid vacation etc etc. I went into business to make more money than i could as an employee, not less. 600$ a day on 300 miles works out to be much less than that 65k $ benchmark.

The op obviously has no idea how much it takes to run a truck.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    One thing some of you guys that run 48 states should keep in mind is that it is cheaper to run local compared to over the road. I am insured for a 200 mile radius and pretty much only been in 5 States. My licence for the year is under 2k and truck insurance with million liability plus 50k cargo and something for pulling a trailer I don't own is right around 5k yearly.
    Not saying I would do this job for what he wants to pay but every operation is different.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  5. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    IMG_3087.JPG

6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    While every operation is different, and will have different costs, the only way I'm lowering my cargo insurance and dropping states of my plates is for a customer like boeing who i can count on to not break a long term contract. Revamping my business for some small time outfit isn't happening.

ladr, icsheeple and Road Killer Thank this.
  7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Takes longer to go broke sitting home eating Cheetos than to run too cheap.
    If you are a true business man you already know that.

Now bear in mind you want to be treated with respect but wipe your feet on a trucker lmao.

8. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    Didn't you post your numbers for last year somewhere over in the Mercer section? Weren't they something like $1.55 per mile for all miles last year (and not a ton of miles IIRC) and about $55K net?

Everybody here seems to want to beat up on the OP for doing what is actually his obligation as a businessman, that is to operate his business as efficiently as possible, partly through minimizing his expenses.

We live in the greatest nation in the history of the world, with a free market that allows the market to determine the fair value of the goods and services that we provide. In that free market the lowest cost producer typically prevails.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Road Killer Thanks this.
  9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Your a little low it was closer to 1.95 with 65ish net. with the new baby on the way i intentionally only work 6 months of the year. That was last year.

This year, I've gotten better freight (which really just boiled down to getting better at seeing the good customers) and while i have worked more days, I've spent almost every night in my bed at home. I'm on track to net about the same, maybe a little better, running even less miles...will be under 40k miles. And have left florida twice(or was it 3 times? Doesn't matter) since march.

I would disagree with you about beating the op up. We aren't beaying him up for trying to save money. He is catching grief for his combative and insulting responses.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    One thing that offsets this apparently cheap running cost is tolls it's Chicago dude .. empty or loaded your paying or your running the brutally rough side roads tearing up your truck either way cost per mile goes up not down

Road Killer Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    These brokers and customers enjoying all these extra cheap trucks the past couple of years.. they're going to have some long faces one of these days when that pendulum goes the other way and all of a sudden they cant find any trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.