Re decking flatbed trailer floor.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Cascadia, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Cascadia

Cascadia Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Hello guys,

Time have come to repair the floor of my flatbed trailer, it's a 2004 Reitnouer that I purchased back in 2008, the floor pretty much lasted 10 years under my work clock, can't complaint much.
    So I started searching online where to buy the Apiton wood and found Trailerdecking.com but the shipping costs turned me down :( but then I found this other company with a more affordable shipping costs :)
    TMI Trailer Marketing, inc.
    I've heard is a lot of work to replace those boards but I will only be doing the section shown in the pictures, which by the way I think I should order the 3 x 1 1/4 Apiton wood for Reitnouer.
    I got really excited when I found shipping cost would be $14.76 compared to $393.26 from the other company who claims to have cheaper prices.
    So my question is....Have you guys heard or used this company before?

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      154.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      96.7 KB
      Views:
    • Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Reason for edit: wrong link
    cke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

That reads 14.76 a foot for ups ground to my eyes.

rank, SAR and cke Thank this.
  4. Cascadia

Jan 18, 2014
    Where did you read that?
    I just tried to complete the order and it only shows $14.76 at check out, but even if you were right it would still be a lot cheaper than almost $400.00 the other company is asking for.

Do you think they would charge me $177.12 for 12 ft of wood to be delivered by UPS ground? That would make it more expensive than UPS next day air at $155.72.

Attached Files:

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Does it have to be that specific wood? Can't you special order it at Lowes and wait a few days and go get it with a long bed pickup truck?

I acknowledge that floor needs new wood. But it frightens me to get it by mail potentially.

It's part of a business cost. It's good it lasted that long.

But after you put the work in do you intend to keep that trailer pretty longer?

Bean Jr. and Cascadia Thank this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    My mistake: I missed that you had put a quantity of 12 in.
    You're only getting 1 12' piece?

SAR, x1Heavy and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  7. Cascadia

Jan 18, 2014
    I have not placed my order yet since I'm so far from home and probably won't be back for another couple of weeks, but I will go to Lowes and/or Home Depot to inquire about it when I get back, thanks for the suggestion!
    I've been doing fltabed for almost 15 years and I think I have another 5 years left before I call it quits so yes, I'm keeping this trailer.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Apitong is a very tough Manila (tropical) oak. It's the wood of choice,and very common in the open trailer world. Do you have any trailer supply houses near to you? Also is the wood you're replacing ship lapped?
    And wear gloves when working with it,or you'll be pulling splinters out of your hands constantly.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I used to deliver to Lowes in Lewes DE from Hagerstown Md Railroad where they transfer all sorts of wood including very picky expensive 5000 per foot of asian woods that always get tarped twice from the west coast.

You would think with a little time, Lowes can order any wood anywhere.

Or...

Find a dead tractor trailer lot somewhere, some flatbeds in it might literally have some boards left you can yank up.

As far as splinters, Ive had a childhood full of those thank you. Ten pins and all in bowling when we supposed to be in church on sunday morning. Geesh what a life it was. All the fun followed by the knife and howling.

10. Cascadia

Jan 18, 2014
    You really made me go back to check like I had missed something lol.
    I would like to do the whole trailer, I figured if I handle the job myself it would cost me close to $1000.00 in parts which is not bad at all.
    I just wanna fix the section that needs the more attention first and see how it goes...
    Will post before and after pictures and share experience here when I'm done.

11. Cascadia

Jan 18, 2014
    I would have to check if I have any trailer parts near me but I don't think so, I'm close to Ft Myers in Florida.
    No, the wood I'm replacing is not overlapped, it is just 3 single rows of nailers, the one in the center is wider than the ones on the sides but they are all placed individually.
    Good thing is the place I just found online sells parts for specific trailers like mine (Reitnouer) and Transcraft, so the wood they sell should be a perfect match.
    Yeah, Gloves is a must!
    Thanks

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.