ready made meals

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by supertruck#1, Aug 15, 2022.

1. supertruck#1

supertruck#1 Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    I was inquiring if this would be a good business idea. I have a freeze dryer and can make freeze dried home cooked meals. My husband is a trucker so he already uses these meals. They are like mountain house etc but will be better quality with more taste of homemade meals. I would like to start a business and wondering if other truckers would think its a good idea catering to trucker meals? hubby said not enough truckers would be interested..... the meals would be just add hot water and wait 5-10 mins and its ready.
    stuff like lasagna, spaghetti, bbq chicken, chicken spaghetti, chicken dumplings etc. all types veggies

TurkeyCreekJackJohnson Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Are they frozen or kept in the refrigerator? How many does your husband take on the road with him? Sounds like a good idea if they’re compact.

4. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Freeze dried food is stored in mylar bags at room temperature. I have a freeze dryer myself and love it.

5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Is this something you do for few friends, or commercially? If the latter, you are in for an uphill climb of regulations. If I were you,(I know) I would go lay down until this thought goes away.

tarmadilo Thanks this.
  6. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    There's only one company that sales freeze dryers to residential users because I have one myself.

It's going to be a Harvest Right machine. Either small, medium, or large. It's a wonderful piece of equipment, but none are capable of running a full scale business. Eight dozen raw eggs takes close to 30 hours to properly process in a medium.

They are wonderful for personal use, but there's no way to keep up with more than a couple of people's needs.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Great idea. Would love to try it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.