ready to go

Discussion in 'Celadon' started by Daytona88, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Daytona88

Daytona88 Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Palm Coast,FL
    I'm headed to celadon next week ,would really like some good info on them from a present driver. Is this a good choice or big mistake?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lil may

lil may Road Train Member

May 25, 2009
    I say good choice read up on them here logsrus is the head log lady there but I haven't seen her around here lately

4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    You could of done alot worse !!

Good Luck !!

5. ANGRYTRUCKINGGUY

ANGRYTRUCKINGGUY Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2010
    hellpaso, tx
    If you can stick it out, things are getting back to normal little by little. Been here 6yrs 6mos. But what do I know? I've only worked 2 places in 21 years. Maybe ask someone who's worked at Celadon and every other co. over their career, seems to be a lot of those. Not knocking it, but in trucking it seems loyalty doesn't mean a whole lot.

6. truckin2long

truckin2long Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    I just left Celadon in on December 18, 2010. Out of 22 years driving truck it was the worst company I have ever driven for.

To go on what AngryTruckingGuy wrote about loyalty, loyalty is like respect, there both earned not given. And as hard as I tried as long as I was with Celadon I could not get any repsect or loyalty from them, so none was given in return anymore.

All the load planners at Celadon care about is getting the freight moved. They have no care or worries about the drivers, weather you're having a bad mileage week, or if you're out of hours, they just worry about the freight moving, wehn they have freight to move. And the DM's (Driver Managers) are nothing but go-betweens. They have no power to do anything for the drivers, nore do they have loyalty to their drivers, atleast my Pete and RePete didn't. They're just there to collect their paychecks, that's it.

There is no EzPass on the trucks, except for Canadian dedicated or Tobacco Dedicated drivers. So if you get stuck on the eastcoast plan on taking Comchek advances out to pay the tolls, and pray to God you don't have to pull out money for all that on a Tuesday and the load can't del until Weds. Midnight Tues/Weds is payroll cut off and if u have to pull out a $200.00 advance on Tues and the load doesn't del until Weds you won't get reimbursed until the following Friday, but the advance money u pulled out on Tues will be deducted from your paycheck on the coming Friday when u get paid. So in other words, for a week your paycheck money is being used to run Celadon's freight until u get your reciepts reimbursed. And yes drivers this does happen, it's happened to me 3 times, so don't tell me it doesn't. Company suck ##### suck, and I've noticed quite a few on here not telling the truth. It's probably Darrell Roth sitting at his desk all day lying to people on here.

There are no APU's on the trucks and from what Steve Russell (the Owner) says, there never will be. He says the cost more to purchase and maintain than to have them. he uses the excuse of truck trade in and training mechanics for the maintenence of the APU's. Bullsh&t!! He's just too cheap to have them installed on the trucks for driver comfort. Only way a Celadon truck will get an APU is if the federal goernment makes them get them. The old man puts a new meaning to the term "Brooklyn Jew", and he's cheap!! So in other words u will roast in the summer and freeze in the winter. There is an auxillary bunk heater, but they suck. Oh you can idle the truck if it's over 70 degrees or under 20 degrees outside temp. But when it's 68 degrees outside and the sun is beating down on the aluminum and fiberglass cab and ur trying to sleep in the day, yeah godd luck with that when the inside cab temp is in the 90's. And if you do get to idle your truck don't idle too much, they will cut the truck speed from 65 mph to 62 mph if yuour idle percentage gets too high. Good luck with that too!

If you need new tires on your truck, don't expect new tires or new caps, expect used tires off of another truck, be it a truck being sold or a truck that was wrecked. Only time u will get new tires is for steer tires, or if they are out of used drive tires. The maitienece department in Indy and Waxahatchie both abosolutely suck. They will only fix what they feel needs fixed on the truck, nothing more.

So yeah, there are other things I could write about this company. And like I said, after 22 years of driving this has been the worst driving experience I have EVER had.

Do what you want, but if I had it all to do over again, I would avoid Celadon like the Plague. Low pay and Low miles - no bank account. And if you decide to go with Celadon, good luck and God Bless....

7. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    Yup that about sums it up.......you'll do good for a while and then they pull the rug out from under you and then wonder why you aren't happy....and the minute you try explaining things or go in to see why your miles got cut in half they will to your face tell you it's gonna be better and then watch them get cut again.

I had no tickets, accidents, late loads, or complained and they nickle and dimed my miles till I was owing them money because I got stuck picking up the walmart blitz load empty trailers ....and you don't get paid for those till you have an actual "paying load".

I wish you luck....it is what it is.....hopefully you get one of the "few" good driver managers like Ed if they haven't ran him off too...like they did to my first DM on fleet 64 ...Judd.:biggrin_25510:

8. ANGRYTRUCKINGGUY

ANGRYTRUCKINGGUY Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2010
    hellpaso, tx
    Yeah, I got stuck waitin' to get my toll money back the following week a few times. An' they do be cheap. Still, I do get mile$ an i'm cheap too. Sometimes it's more about how much u don't spend than how much u make. I tell ya, I get no respect. But, I still don't hate 'em yet.

9. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    I don't hate Celadon but I definitely don't respect them either. I got lied to too many times...by my dm, by Chesterman, by the mechanics....I just got to the point where I couldn't believe anything they said to me anymore, I tried going to Jamie Steele but couldn't get thru to him...shame really I was happy with them for the first 6 months and then they pulled a complete 180.

I hope they straighten up for you driver.:biggrin_25514: You have more patience than I got that's for sure

10. gearjammer0801

gearjammer0801 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2011
    What you said was true 100percnt

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.