Ready to turn Rookie...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by TruckerTreece, Aug 23, 2017.

1. TruckerTreece

TruckerTreece Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Greenville, TX
    I've wanted to do it since before getting my class C but could never afford it. Now I'm learning about company sponsored CDL training and can't wait to get started. Already been through the TX CDL handbook once and done dozens of practice tests, and will go through the handbook again. Researching schools, permits, medical cards, and everything I can. Plan to have the medical card and permit before I start a school.

Anyway, just introducing myself. Been reading threads and wanted to chime in, so I created an account.

My plan for getting into trucking is a school (looking at Schneider and KLLM right now, Swift is an option), a year running reefer/dry van OTR, then going local or dedicated for more home time. Have aspirations beyond just company driving, but ready to run a couple of years and get all the experience I can before I'm writing checks for fuel and maintenance. Does anyone still write checks anymore? haha Anyway, I'm 33, married, one kid who lives with my ex. Spend 80% of a normal day alone (freelance web developer/designer and publisher) and was driving Dallas to Raleigh in one shot before I was 18. Always loved the road, no matter how many wheels. Very excited to get going.

Shout out to @TheRightBrotha and a few other YouTube drivers. Lots of info and confidence gained from those guys. Any questions, fire away. Hope to chat with many of you soon. ~ TT

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good for you, trucking is a great career and plenty of good jobs all over Texas. I'll give you a few more ideas.
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) - decent refrigerated outfit. KLLM owns FFE, but if it were me, I'd go with FFE. Their school is also in Lancaster,TX with KLLM.
    Millis Transfer - school in Burleson,TX. They want $500.00 fee to get started. Only run Eastern half of USA.
    Raider Express - refrigerated outfit and school in Ft. Worth.
    Celadon - dry van/refrigerated/flatbed and school in Laredo,TX.
    Western Dairy Transport - milk tankers & school in Abernathy,TX. (www.wdtmilk.com)
    Roehl Transport - school in Grand Prairie,TX. I like their dry van National Fleet.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Western Dairy Transport ---------------------------------FFE (Frozen Food Express

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    born&raisedintheusa and Dharok Thank this.
  4. TruckerTreece

Aug 23, 2017
    Greenville, TX
    Thanks, @Chinatown! Celadon and Raider were both bought out recently, right? Can't think of who tho.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't know about Raider. Celadon is under new new management. The new Celadon management team has a reputation for firing inept managers & office types and replacing them with people that actually know how to run a trucking company.

6. TruckerTreece

Aug 23, 2017
    Greenville, TX
    Sounds smart to me! Thanks for the info.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Welcome to TTR, @TruckerTreece

Glad to have ya aboard. Go off duty and trawl the forums, I'm sure there's still some good parking left.

Dharok and TruckerTreece Thank this.
  8. Dharok

Dharok Medium Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    If I was him I'd pick that tanker outfit. Better than swinging doors, you can do that with tanker experience haha. I started in the oilfield (tanker) but he would have a leg up since it'll be tanker and OTR. He would be set. Good thing to remember, Texas has a lot of good tanker jobs.. might want to consider it for further employment options that pay way better (oilfield).

I did 1 year dry van, now 1 year reefer, if I stay trucking I'll go back to tankers. Way better.

TruckerTreece Thanks this.
  9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    You may want to look into Tyson Foods out of Springdale Arkansas. I believe that they have a terminal in Texas.

Good luck to you! God bless you and your family!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

10. Tuga Trucker

Tuga Trucker Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2017

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Companies in Texas that have cdl school and tanker training:
    FFE (Frozen Food Express)
    Stevens Transport
    Western Dairy Transport

[​IMG][​IMG]
    FFE ( Frozen Food Express)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.