Really disappointed. CDL School.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by EMDMatt, Oct 23, 2021.

1. EMDMatt

EMDMatt Bobtail Member

May 27, 2021
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

Fortunately I already have a good job. I want my CDL so I have another option if things ever go south at my current job. It's always something I wanted to do.

I choose the school I did because they've been around since the fifties and seemed like the best. Boy was I wrong. 11k to watch Youtube videos and maybe get some seat time. Yes, I should have done more research. To be honest I don't even know if I want go back. Why? To deal with broken down trucks and not enough instructors for road time. There course involves going through a industrial park and then back the highway because the city doesn't want their trucks going through downtown.

If nothing else at least I have the certificate that shows I went through school so I should be all set come February of '22.

There's another school near by that offers private lessons (or did). Going to at least call or visit them. Permits good till next year so I have some time. I'm not a quiter just need to decide my next step.

Definitely have a new found respect for you truckers. Operating a train is easier than trying to back a tractor trailer.

Thanks again.
    Matt

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You experienced the normal CDL school. I got my CDL in the mid-1990s. Nobody in my class felt fully prepared to do this job and most of us felt lucky to pass the exam for the license because we had so llittle hands-on training. 99% of trucking companies that hire new CDL holders put new drivers with a trainer for some period of time, depending on which type of CDL work you will be doing. My OTR company put me with a trainer for 8 weeks. The company pulling Dedicated put new CDL drivers through a 4 week "finishing school" and then 10 work days with a site trainer/driver.

Your first job is where you learn the 90% of this job you have not been taught yet. The other 10% you learn from people at your company or the customer asking "why didn't you do X. Every other driver does X."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.