Really Good Podcast(s):

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Russian Rabbit, Dec 22, 2017.

1. 207nomad

207nomad Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2015
    This guy is awesome! I wish his podcasts were more frequent though.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    I haven't seen anything like that...I pay $15 a month, but it is for audiobooks only.

4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I think I read that in Wikipedia... I think I might do that audiobook thing if they don't increase the price. I listen to stuff on Spotify but their selection is limited to public domain books.

5. brank

brank Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Earth
    Anything with Donald Trump talking?

6. brank

brank Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Earth
    Like a Donald Trump epic compilation. Drink it down! Ah!

7. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

I can't speak for others in regards to audio books, but..for it comes down to the narrator. There are a lot of bad ones out there, at lest if you read fiction. Hell even some of the biographies I listened to sucked..due to the narrator.

Once apon a time I worked for Borders Books and Music, back when Harry Potter was super duper popular. I worked overnight with a 7 man crew. Good folks, young, worked hard, good folks like I said. Anyhow...since we were overnight they would listen to audio books at times to help pass the time, an make the night go faster. They threw on Harry Potter one night, much to my displeasure as I read "real" books, not some kid crap. By the end of the week I was asking when we were going to listen to the next one. The narrator was that freaking good. I still hate the movies, but ######..still one of the best audio books I ever listened to.

I've attempted many times over the years to get into audio but it always comes back to the narrator. I love me some Tom Clancy. I can read his books over an over. The audio tho? Good gods, the horror. Out of like 15 books he has on audio, the only ones I half way enjoyed were the 3 he had narrated by Lou Diamond Phillips(yes the actor).

Far as podcasts...like another I enjoy some comedians usually via Pandora, or similar app. I got some others I dig also. I keep them on my Kindle Fire. I got a little radio transmitter thing for playing it off the radio while traveling around. So for you folks who have a tablet, if you don't want to use your phone, tablets are a good option. My Fire is nothing special, but it does good by me.

So yea...the novel is over. My apologies. LOL.

Sirscrapntruckalot - I hate it when they ruin a really good book when they turn it into a movie. - Me an many others.

PS - I use audible also. Good source for audio books and they usually have some decent deals. same with Audio books through amazon.

8. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    UPDATE:

i would like to rescind my recommendation for Sword and Scale as a good podcast. While well produced, it is negative.

Please DO NOT listen to Sword and Scale, particularly episodes 22 and 20 unless you are an agony seeker or wish to give yourself P.T.S.D. or something.

i am not only rescinding my recommendation for this as a podcast that you should listen to,but i am asking you NOT to listen to this podcast.

Instead i recommend, among others:
    Clark Howard
    This American Life
    Risk
    Snap Judgement

All of these are generally positive, unlike Sword and Scale.

Thank you.

cybill234, IluvCATS and tscottme Thank this.
  9. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Figured I'd give Risk a listen since my podcast queue is a little light at the moment. 1st story kind of funny, 2nd kind of sad. Interesting, so I'm thinking i might subscribe. 3rd story was about some dude's fetish for being a human toilet. Lost me right there. I shut that garbage off and won't be trying it again.

207nomad and KillingTime Thank this.
  10. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Don't say I didn't warn ya. It's right there. *points to quote*

What are stories but other people's bull -####? Ever read anything by X1? Lol.

Maj. Jackhole and Naptown Thank this.
  11. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    You did indeed. I figured I've seen and done enough #### to handle it. I figured wrong, that's all.

PS, I can spot an X1 post without looking at the user name. Very distinct writing structure, that one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.