2016 389 ISX 2350 Rebuild or new engine?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by skman, Sep 24, 2022.

1. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I got a question for those who may have run into this or have more knowledge than me.
    I have a 2016 389 with an isx 2350. When I bought the truck...it had been "rebuilt". However, the paperwork was in french and I'm not bilingual. But I did see a new head and some other parts on the paperwork.
    Here's where the problem lies.
    About a week or so after running the truck, I found out that someone had put in the wrong air filters. They were about 2 inches too short and we're sucking air straight past them instead of filtering.
    I immediately changed the filters and oil and hoped for the best but after submitting the oil sample....there was substantial silica numbers. Also some metals.
    I pulled another sample after the oil change and the silica was way down but still some metal wear.
    The next sample had next to no silica and lower metal.
    Everything seemed ok until I switched to synthetic oil and my filter plugged. Changed the filter and it was fine again. But i was going through oil.
    Went back to regular 15w40 but still going through oil since then and on a cool night you can see the haze coming out of the exhaust. Also if you take the oil filler cap off...there's blow-by. Not massive amounts...but it's def there.
    I guess my question is this (as I'm not a HD mechanic by any means):
    Can I in-frame this engine or would a drop in be a better idea? I'm not sure if the silica levels could have damaged the crank at all?
    If I do in-frame...I would also do new head and probably cam.
    Anything else that you would do that wouldn't normally be done in a rebuild?
    Thanks

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I have rebuilt a few "Dusted" engines over the years. I doubt the cam and crank and cylinder head would have been damaged as you seem to have caught the problem quickly. The liners pistons and rings will likely have been damaged causing the blow-by. The valves and seats in the cylinder head can wear from dust entering the engine but it takes a while.

spsauerland, BoxCarKidd and bzinger Thank this.
  4. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    How much oil ate you using?

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Easiest thing would be to have them drop the pan and pull a few main and rod caps first to see if the journals are damaged. More than likely they'll be fine.

6. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    About a gallon every 1500-2000miles

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I forgot to mention in my post that my oil pressure is still good. Idles hot at about 22psi and running down highway at 35-40

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Good indicator but not always. The 3406 in mine had really good oil pressure but one main journal was pretty rough when I opened it up. I sent the crank out and they were able to polish it up nice. When I plastigauged the bearings it was up in the higher end of spec for rebuilt clearance with new bearings. If the damage was deeper they'd have had to grind undersize on that journal.

Vampire, bzinger and skman Thank this.
  9. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    That's why I was wondering if a drop in would be a better choice. Regular inframe around here with new head/injectors is prob 33g. If it gets deeper....itll ad to that cost. I can get a pre-rebuilt engine for about 39g plus R&R.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    bzinger Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    In all fairness, finding rotating assembly damage is possible in even a non-dusted engine too.

skman Thanks this.
  11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    An inframe will definitely be cheaper than an out of frame or new engine. I wouldn’t do anything except for keeping conventional oil in it and short change it along with filters a couple times. Just run it and hope for the best. Unless you're looking to throw money at it, let it make you money.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.