Recap Hours!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TigerBait, May 8, 2015.

1. TigerBait

TigerBait Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Hiram, Ga
    So, obviously I'm not managing my recap hours correctly and im losing out on miles. I never had to run off recaps being I ran a dedicated account were I just did a 34 reset every weekend. Can anyone school me on managing recap hrs to keep my loads moving & the wheels turning?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Lets say you have the following hours starting on a monday: 9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10. At midnight going into tuesday the 10 hours falls off and add it to any hours you had left over. So lets say on monday you have 4 hours left when u stop for day. On tuesday at midnight you gain the 10 hours plus 4 left over. Gives you 14 hours on tuesday. Id start 2000 on monday night, assuming i had done my ten hour break, and run then at midnight those ten that fell off will be added on and you have a full day.

TigerBait Thanks this.
  4. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    everyone with the way they are dispatched needs to figure out how the company runs to determine how to recap

basically if you never drive past 8 hours a day you never run out of hours

5. TigerBait

Jan 7, 2014
    Hiram, Ga
    Hey pm me I would like to discuss further details

6. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    I will later got a loar calling my name.

TigerBait Thanks this.
  7. TigerBait

Jan 7, 2014
    Hiram, Ga
    Cool, looking forward. Be safe!

8. Ditch Doctor

Ditch Doctor Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Olathe, KS
    Not correct for OTR. You need to take into account the current day, plus the previous 7. you used today, plus the previous 6.

to the OP. If you're going to be getting consistent miles, you need to average your daily on-duty and driving time at 8.75 hours per day. So one day, if you end up with 10 hours, sometime in that 8 day period you're going to have to have a 7.5 hour day or you're going to run out of hours.

gentleroger and Thediamond13 Thank this.
  9. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    Yeah and if he does 8.75 hours he wont get anywhere. No real miles can be turned by driving just 8 or 8.75 miles a day, if he is in a governed truck. Also, i am correct, that is how i ran recap on otr and never had a log violation.

10. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    again it is all in how you are dispatched
    I drive to CA in 36 hours do a reset come back in 36-40 hours
    take 3 days off do it again
    so that becomes 4500 miles in 8 days 3 times a month

before when i was with transam i went 103 days without a reset
    they dispatch loads based on 50 mph avg so i could still be over 3000 miles but never went home

albert l Thanks this.
  11. Ditch Doctor

Ditch Doctor Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Olathe, KS
    Let me guess, you're on elogs? You have 70 hours to use in 8 days, not 7 days like your example. You showed 7 days of hours, you need to show the 8th day to figure out what you're going to recap. Throw up another 8 or 9 hour day on your example and see how your math is wrong. Wether you like it or not, all you can average is 8.75 hours per day over 8 days to stay below 70 hours. It's simple math. You still cover the exact same distance if you run 11 hours for 6 days, then 2 hours for the next 2 days, as you do running 8.75 hours a day for 8 days....especially in a governed truck.

so, once again, you're example, most definitely, is not correct. Current day, plus previous 7 days.

based on your example, you do not recap any hours, and only have 4 hours to drive on Tuesday.

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.