Recent DOT Inspection AAR

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by MidwestGator, Jan 31, 2020.

1. MidwestGator

MidwestGator Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Just wanted to put some results out after conducting several level 1 inspections recently.

ELD display devices must be accessible to the safety official outside the door without the officer entering your cab.
    Unless you are exempt, ELD is mandatory... had a few still running on paper. RODs must be able to transfer electronically roadside. Please learn how to put yourself into inspection mode and transfer your RODs. Depending on the official you get, they might just cite you for failure to transfer if you don’t know how. It seemed like I personally spent 5 minutes per driver teaching them how to transfer to my badge number. This is an area I’d like to see carriers step up in training.
    If you’re hauling hazmat by special permit, the permit must be with you. If you’re carrier gives you the cheap paper placards and you know you’re traveling through #### weather, get it laminated or something. Also understand the fire extinguisher requirements for your hazmat load. The small standard extinguisher is a violation.
    Had a few stupid violations for load securement. Add some blocking/bracing if you know it needs it.
    This is human trafficking awareness month so expect your seals to be cut and cargo inspected.

On a plus side, the majority of inspections were clean. Didn’t come across out of service brakes or air leaks which are my stickler points.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    When it comes to log books and HOS what do u look for? I just had a recent level 1 inspection and went into violation on my 14 hr clock by 10 mins 2 days prior, after a rough day. First time i ever went in violation and of course i got a level 1, 2 days later but the officer didnt say a word about it. Thinking he may have missed it and i got lucky or 10 mins is not a big deal?

Flat Earth Trucker and Hulld Thank this.
  4. MidwestGator

MidwestGator Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Sounds like he just missed it. Your record of duty status (RODS) will be checked for almost all levels of inspection. Most troopers just do a level 3 which is driver only. Some are trained on level 2 which is a walk around. The level 1 inspection is a 37 step inspection that includes inspection of the undercarriage and brake adjustments.

deathB4decaf and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Is it acceptable to have an ELD that is not able to electronically transfer RODS but has the ability to print a full hard copy in standard log book form at the road side?

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    This question seems roughly tantamount to Kaiser Wilhelm asking General Pershing for his battle plans. :biggrin_25523:

7. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    If it is such a hassle to teach them to transfer why don't you just skip them and continue eating donuts inside.

Grouch and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    First of all, the donut comment was rude and uncalled for.

Second, you expect a LEO to just let a substandard truck and driver continue down a public highway? Does the phrase “dereliction of duty” come to mind?

9. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    There is a phrase I learned long ago..

" never invite The Man into your life "

..might be worth a try

Studebaker Hawk and mtoo Thank this.
  10. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018

I'll be glad to get failure to transfer ticket gives me a reason to post a video of them and their salary.

11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Someone always has to try to upset the exchange of valuable information.
    I would much rather have a technical exchange on here with a member who works the other side of our industry then having the same technical exchange at the roadside facing an inspection report.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.