Recent DOT Inspection AAR

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by MidwestGator, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    22BE7E5A-5731-4B95-828C-BF61DDA5F5F8.jpeg
    I only see where section D states that you must be able to transfer upon request per the ELD instructions.
    It doesn’t state electronically or physically?
    Am I missing something?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidwestGator

MidwestGator Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Yes it would be non compliant if it does not transfer.

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I will take that one. You can work past 14 hours, just not drive on a public highway. You would have to tell the officer what is happening, and logically he will let you park somewhere at the scale. If he doesn't, note his badge number, drive to the nearest safe place to park and make a note of it on your ELD. No different than running out of hours at a shipper or consignee where you would be able to drive PC to the nearest safe place to park.

5. MidwestGator

Jan 9, 2020
    The first thing we do is check logs, if the driver was close I’d ask him where he was planning on taking his 10 (or 8 depending on if he logs under split sleeper). If he wanted to use our lot at the scales no problem, if not, his inspection report and proper remarks on the ROD would prevent a violation. We aren’t out to get anyone despite how it seems.

6. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Thank you MWGator for the response. Having a direct response from someone who has authority rather than an "i heard it at the lunch counter" means a lot.

7. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    to be honest, i dont know of anyone that had a roadside inspection where the cop was polite and just checking things out on a safety level. Always seem to have a chip on their shoulder and like to nit pick when they cant find anything major. Treat people with respect and you will get it in return. Maybe this cop is one of the good guys. OR maybe he isnt. But i understand where the hostility comes from.. Unless you haul to sesame street everyday, we deal with angry dot cops with chips on their shouler

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    For every prick that might appear on Youtube there are ten that are professional and do their jobs with honor and integrity.

9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I've had probably 6 roadside inspections my career so far and have been treated with respect each time. Never was a traffic infraction committed on my part, the stop was strictly for an inspection...

I think lots of you guys roll around with your super truck mentality that you have and just dont like authority of any sort. Even before the officer comes up you've already got your mind made up that he has a chip on his shoulder and is harassing you.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  10. MidwestGator

Jan 9, 2020
    Just to clarify any misconceptions, 95% of our job as investigators has nothing to do with drivers direct. Based on ‘data’, we investigate carriers that get our attention. I won’t go into the algorithm or process for selection, but it’s not one single element that causes us to show up at someone’s door. 5% of our job is to maintain our Inspection certifications which means we must do so many each year. FMCSA gives grant money and training to state LEO to do it day to day and I agree sometimes you just get the trooper that hates his job.
    If you’re lucky enough to get a Fed you will typically have a smooth interaction because we don’t do them for the citation $.

11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Smile and be polite.
    Have your documents in order and ready to go.
    That tends to make the transaction go smoothly.

If you begin by pissing on his boots.... it's all downhill from there.

He's got the authority, the badge, and the citation book.
    Dont make it worse for yourself.

Cooperation, Professionalism, and politeness go a LONG way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.