Recent DOT Inspection AAR

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by MidwestGator, Jan 31, 2020.

1. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I have just the opposite experience. In nearly thirty years on the road, mostly in the northeast (running I-84 and I-86/NY-17) where enforcement is often accused of being biased and ruthless, I have rarely had a bad experience with an officer. Even those that have a reputation as hard nosed fellas have treated me with respect and integrity.

I am not saying I have not received an inspection violation or citation that I shouldn't have, no we all make mistakes, although the ones issued in error were all successfully challenged either in court or via DataQ. I believe it is all in how you present your truck and yourself that makes the difference.

JonJon78, peterd, Chubby Fly and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    The printout is for ELD devices that are not removable, meaning able to be handed to an inspector outside your cab. For most officers this is sufficient for their purposes, however they can require an electronic copy of the file and a compliant ELD must produce at roadside on demand by one of 4 transfer methods. Midwest Gator explains them in his post below.

The reason for this is they use a software package to help them find violations and preserve evidence for trial should a violation be discovered and then contested.

For those interested in the technical why and specifications, they can be found in Appendix A to Subpart B of Part 395 at this link Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR) scroll to the bottom

The specifications for data display (which is where printout is covered) is 4.8
    The specifications and requirement for electronic data transfer at roadside is 4.9.1

As for your specific quote, "transfer per ELD instructions" the VDO Roadlog has instructions on using the Bluetooth or USB 2.0 transfer method on their ELD compliant model 3290 with software version 12.01.00 or above. They include those instructions in their listing on the ELD self-certification website here
    ELD - Registered ELDs just enter VDO in the search bar to see their only device on the list.

Hulld and 062 Thank this.
  4. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

I've had many dissimilar experiences. Just the other day I was pulled over by an AZ trooper for a headlight that had been out for...well... a while. She pulled my ERODS, license,insurance and cab card and walked away. Some time later, she come back and hands me all the documents plus a 'fix it' ticket. She says she pulled up my CSA and it's only 38. She didn't want to raise my decent score with an OOS, BUT....if I had had a 70 or higher she would have "gladly done what she could to put me OOS".
    They're not all pricks.

Chubby Fly Thanks this.
  5. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    What if the driver does have the capability to transfer data files thru email or webservice via the server with the FMCSA but the DOT officer or LEO doesn't have the ability to retrieve them. Also the ELD unit is not mobile outside the truck. Is this the officers fault or the driver/company?

6. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    We have the same units and they CAN transfer the data so how would that be non-compliant?

7. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    How do your units transfer ?
    Are your VDO units the solo version?

8. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    Man I'm thinking that wasn't cool. The OP is obviously credentialed and probably works with a driver more often than not. After personally being in transportation for over 3 decades,I've been given way more breaks than tickets and I'd like to think my disposition played into that statistic-

Karma man.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  9. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Oh what gonba happen to me?

10. lsnook24

lsnook24 Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2019
    This link of stuff is so childish

11. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    Probably nothing piloting a 63 mph truck with electronic logs and driver facing cameras but I would not want a DOT to not post on here sharing relevant info because of negative posts by forum members.
    Have a great day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.