Recent Grad Looking To Hear From Stevens Drivers..... Need Info..

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by 232trucker, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX

I am lazy and did not make sure all the acronyms were capitalized, sentences correctly capitalized, proper syntax used, etc etc. Blame the home time...I'm busy making pot roast, mashed potatoes, vegetables, rolls, and peach cobbler. I MISS COOKING!

Hows that for a start? :biggrin_25522:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. .RYAN

.RYAN Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Does Stevens hire from Vegas?

4. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Yes they do.

.RYAN Thanks this.
  5. CharlesS

CharlesS Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    So is it possible to plan your hours so that you do not have to take your 32hr break after 70hrs? I understand the clock resets every 8 days, but not having any driving experience I am kind of missing the trick. Sounds very interesting if possible, in the course of 32 hours you can cover a lot of highway.

6. flue

flue Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    The clock does not reset every 8 days, it only resets after 34 continuous hours off duty with two periods during that 34 hours between 1am and 5am. Off duty can be either straight off duty or straight sleeper berth or a combination of the two. You can only take one 34 hour reset every 168 hours, or in laymans terms, once a week.

Each day you will get hours back that you have used over the previous 8 days, so your 70 is always moving and changing. These are recap hours and are part of tje planning process.

So, the short answer to your question is yes, you can plan your hours to not have to take the reset. The true answer is just a smidge more complex, however.

7. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    HOS 101: (The abridged version)

You have 4 clocks you need to keep an eye on and they all work together. One at a time...

70 hour clock: you can not drive after being on duty or having driven or any combination of the two more than 70 hours in an 8 day period. Essentially that means today plus the last 7. So the hours you drove or were on duty on a given day are counted for 7 days then they fall off and are recaped into you available hours. For example this may be a week

Mon 8 hrs
    Tue 7 hrs
    Wed 10 hrs
    Thu 8 hrs
    Fri 11 hrs
    Sat 10 hrs
    Sun 9 hrs

That totals 63 hrs in those seven days, so I would start this day with only 7 available, but at midnight yard time the first 8hrs from that Monday would no longer be counted and would recap on to my availibe, son I have 7 hrs today, and 8 tomorrow.

If at some point In am off duty or in the sleeper for at least 34 straight hours that encompasses two periods between 1am and 5am my clock resets to 70 hrs. The reset is optional and can only be used once a week.

The 14 hour clock. Once your duty day has begun, you can not drive after the 14th hour without taking a 10 hour break. I won't get into Tue 8/2 sleeper hearth split because it may complicate things a bit for you at this point.

The 11 hour clock: you can not drive more than 11 hours without taking a 10 hour break. Again, leaving out the 8/2 split.

Finally the 8 hour clock: you can not drive after the 8th hour of coming on duty without taking a 30 minute break

It is a little easier to understand once you have done it a few times.

capper17 and gbknox Thank this.
  8. CharlesS

CharlesS Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    I think I understand it a bit more now. So you can gain back the hours you used once they roll off of the 8 days, as long as your hours for the past 8 days don't total 70 then you can keep driving. I am guessing this is where good log management comes in handy. Making sure you are off duty anytime the truck isnt rolling to keep you from using up valuable driving hours while you are just sitting (i.e. truck stop, shipper/receiver, repairs, etc.)

9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Yep, sounds like you have the basic concept down. That is half the battle, once you understand them you can work with them to maximize your.miles.

flue Thanks this.
  10. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    All of this HOS crap is giving me a headache! :D

Corporal_Clegg Thanks this.
  11. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    We can move on to the 8/2 Split and how to determine how much of your 14 you are getting back if you like... LOL

Corporal_Clegg Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.