Recent Graduate needing hometime any help???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewGuyGA, Aug 15, 2018.

1. NewGuyGA

NewGuyGA Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I graduate from a local college in Atlanta and got my CDL license July 5th now I work in a food distribution warehouse order selecting and thought that I would get on with my company but since Im one of the best employees they have it seems as if they are not going to transfer me to the transportation side so now I have to find a job when I thought I had one lined up. I use to work at SYSCO but they told me I need 6 months of experience and to just come back when I got my 6 months. Now I have been turned down so far by Schneider because I have 3 speeding tickets from 2015 and 2014 nothing else though on my MVR. Then TMC turned me down today and I really wanted to drive for them they gave me no explanation. So my 3 solid choices are Western Express, US Xpress, and Swift. Now Swift and Western Express told me they will get me home every weekend driving the flatbed. I don't care about being on the road but I do have a daughter I get every other weekend and I have a brother that is in college that will soon be in the NFL and this is his last year and I do not want to miss no home games.

Now Swift told me they can have me home on weekends I checked the board and haven't heard nothing really bad about them like I have from Western Express and US Xpress. also they have a Terminal i Atlanta so while I'm going through Orientation I can stay home. Now I'm moving out of my apartment and into my best friend house very soon because I don't think its financially smart to stay in a place that I will rarely be at then it helps me and my friend out also. We have kids the same age and we do the same type of stuff so its a cool situation. Now is it true that I will be home on the weekends or every other weekend or I can make some type of arrangement or they just blowing smoke up my rear. I don't mind being gone Mon-Friday I just need my Saturdays and Sundays and if its up to me Friday afternoons. Also If I have to reset my time I do fly for free since my mom works for Delta so I could just fly out of town while my truck is anywhere in the USA and just come back and drive again. What do you guys think of Swift though.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Let me take a moment and tell you what home time in a 18 wheeler looks like.

Friday am 500 miles from the house. 8AM you get a preload message 200 miles away towards the yard going the other way for today. By the time you got home it's 3 am Sat. You need a little time to sleep and decompress so call it sat PM say 2 or so before you come out and be with family. Sunday morning phone rings says you have a load to timbuktu for monday 900 miles. You need to be moving in a few hours if not before to make the schedule.

That's home time for a trucker. We give up so much of our lives for this Country that demands the food, good things to have and all sorts of very important things that keep us free.

4. NewGuyGA

NewGuyGA Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    - Thanks I have family that drives my step dad my uncles and stuff, they basically told me 6 months but that I need to find somewhere were I can be with my daughter. I had a very nasty Child custody case that I spent a lot of money on and I have a dictator as a baby mother especially when it comes to time with my child the money thing is not even a issue. LOL. But yea I understand that Im just trying to get my 6 months and most likely will go to SYSCO and work there the money is good I"m home everyday or every other day and weekends are just about free. plus Im 33 in great shape I don't want to get the whole truck driver body lol. But thank you for your comment.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. PeteM

PeteM Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I would stick it out another year until your 3 tickets are 3 years old. I would also keep asking your current company for a shot. Don't rush into things

frizzbees and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I'm going to give some sound advise here, STAY THE HE** OUT OF TRUCKING, these companies will lie through there teeth to get you signed on. If you expect to have any kind of real weekend hometime you will not be getting it with these companies. Possibly try to find a local position with someone like NFI or who dose a lot of regional freight and gets you home a lot. Even then your weekend might not always be free, something to keep in mind is that any trucking job is not about you it's about the freight you haul PERIOD. That's where the money comes from and to most companies that's what comes first not you. I know the recruiters will promise you the world that's there job, so buyer beware.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The truck driver body is from very bad diet and very little work.

You probably understand that food = calories. You need a certain amount each day. What you put into your mouth and do NOT BURN OFF each day goes to fat as storage by the body. Eventually you are Mr Round. Follow me?

I started in the 80's working out of many grocery places including sysco etc. and was a little runt about 135. My first big job was around a crew of 7 foot cro-mongans God Bless them... all work and no brains but they knew enough I was weak and told me to my face too. I should quit and go home first day.

I lasted 6 weeks with this crew. I learned so much from them in Baltimore and maybe they learned a little something from me. But yes compared to those knuckle dragging work horses I was weak and little. But I worked. Maybe even a little beating if I screwed something up causing two or more to do more work twice to fix it. (That's another lesson. Do it once and be done with it.)

Fast forward to 2001, I was with wife and we were hauling medicines hardly doing nothing but drop hook once a day. Wife started gaining 30 pounds that month, I gained 20. And it wont stop.

A few years ago after being retired medically from trucking and doing nothing really, and eating all day I was 270. Im back below 185 where I need to be. And eating much less. Maybe 1000 calories a day mostly protein.

My life lesson to you is simple. Don't worry about becoming Mr Fat Trucker Body Round Round, just do the work and watch what you put into your tummy in the way of food etc. Always stay a little bit hungry. If you are just a little hungry, that means you are in a position to do alot of work quickly having put your body into a mode in which you will do some work for food.

But not too much.

As far as the custody fight etc. Get all of that cleared and settled. Once that Judge bangs in his hammer on the table and makes it all go away, then you are free to go running about with a big truck. You follow me?

CJ701 and NewGuyGA Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    BTW. Most recruiters are soul takers. There is money in your body... all you have to do is sign this, that and the dotted line there. MWAH thank you very much.

Reality of hometime? In trucking? HAW... it's nothing what you think. Again the freight decides when you can leave out of home and get on the road. Not you decide to stay home unless you QUIT.

NewGuyGA Thanks this.
  9. NewGuyGA

NewGuyGA Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    My tickets are 3 years old April 2015 and 2014

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. NewGuyGA

NewGuyGA Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I got my custody stuff over but if I’m never home now it just feels like money down the drain for now. I really just wanted to know why the recruiters will promise stuff and it not to be true like that person won’t leave the company?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. PeteM

PeteM Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2018
    What are they for? Simple speeding under 10 shouldn't cause you this much grief

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.