Recommend a GPS please

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by hkchik, Jun 19, 2018.

1. hkchik

hkchik Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Qualcom is slow and doesn't offer routing options. What tool should we add to the mix? An ap on the phone? The new Garmin Dezl? A Rand McNally?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    A lot of guys I know run either the Garmin Dezl or Rand McNally, equal love/hate for both the devices i'd say. Updating the Rand McNally seems like more of a pain in the ### than the Garmin. We have Magellan's truck navigation app on our HOS tablets and same deal, love/hate. The ALK Co-Pilot|Truck app uses the same routing engine and maps as PC*Miler however I do not know anyone using it.

hkchik Thanks this.
  4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have a new refurb 770 LMT still in the box. Deal of the day-$225. Cod cash.

5. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I’ve had both, Garmins routing is better.

hkchik and Trucking in Tennessee Thank this.
  6. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I use the CoPilot app (one-time purchase version without traffic updates) and a never-updated Garmin Nuvi 350.

I bought the Nuvi eight or so years ago and while the maps are long ago outdated, my saved customer locations are still accurate and once it finds the route I'm going, it takes me to the customer.

Have had CoPilot for about 3 years now and have put it on various Android phones and tablets. Can't complain too much about it either.

New/OldSchoolTrucker89 and hkchik Thank this.
  7. 74Chris

74Chris Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    I use smart truck route 2 app on my Android phone $60 for a year subscription. I haven't used any other GPS so I really can't compare it to anything else, but I really like this app.

Hasn't steered me wrong or put me in a bad situation. The app has truck height, width and weight settings it also has settings for speed limit warnings finds nearby weight stations and truck stops there's traffic and satellite views. There's other settings and tools within the app POI, itinerary and voice turn by turn search by business name or address. It's a pretty decent app IMO.

jtaran06 Thanks this.
  8. TallBaby249

TallBaby249 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2018
    if you search a budget GPS with low cost, try to read rewievs on Prestigio GPS

9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Whatever you choose, remember it's just a tool. None of the GPSs are 100% accurate. Plan your route according to your truck atlas and directions given by customers. Then verify your GPS is going to follow that route. Add way points if necessary.

Far too many news stories start out with "Earlier today, a truck driver following his GPS......". Don't be one of those guys.

hkchik Thanks this.
  10. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    I second smart truck route 2. They update regularly. I used to run it side by side with Garmin 580 and hands down smart truck gives better routes

11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I used Copilot and the nice thing about that was you download the maps to your phone and never need data anymore unless you get the live traffic updates.

The down side the address is always off. So I always check with Google maps for correct address or looking for the truck entrance. I liked the Copilot dispay

I used online apps those are good because you can get the latest address. I used SmartTruck Route. It was nice because you could put in an address. They it would say the truck entrance is this address, Do you want the truck entrance? The down side was if you lose cell phone signal you have no GPS routing because it's all run from their computers and you using lots data sending. They have new version Smart Truck Route Ver2. I have not tried it it free routing every day like 1-2pm or $14 for a month or $60 for a year

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.