Recommended GPS

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by jimjam38, Mar 3, 2019.

1. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    So my tnd80 is now a lovely lifeless brick. I exact to get another one, but no tablet, just a standard plain jane model that has truck routes that I can use as a backup to my atlas. So, recommendations, the rm540, dezl580, or tomtom 620. All three same price (although I will probably go to amazon) I had a tomtom years ago for car and it finally died with no problems prior, got a garmin to replace it and it lasted several years. Rand mcnally has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth but I don't know if the 540 is ok and these tablets are just a bad marketing idea.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I use and like my RM 740 but it is running Android too... so it’s just a version of a tablet.

And ya, I use mine as a “backup” to my atlas as well... wink wink... lol :)

4. deepdiver888

deepdiver888 Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2018
    I have a RM540 that I bought new 3 years ago and it still works like a champ. Just like the way the menus work and it is easy to navigate through its various capabilities / functions.

JReding and jimjam38 Thank this.
  5. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    If you want to be on local news or lost buy Garmin.

RonRonald, truckpc and jimjam38 Thank this.
  6. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma

Honestly, I have the GPS in there to talk to me. Most places I can get to without putting in the address since I frequent them often. Occasionally I get sent somewhere I will put in the address because its unfamiliar then kind of use the directions from the GPS in combination with the directions from dispatch. I had been saving each location to the address book and if it had been awhile, I would plug it in to refresh my memory.

7. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    Garmin 780. I think there's a what type of GPS do you use or recommend everyday here. Lol

Timin770 and Dan.S Thank this.
  8. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

That tomtom is bad. Uses their own data and it's not as extensive as here maps.

I'd say copilot truck or smart truck route 2 and an android tablet.

9. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I have the 540, no issues yet. Pretty happy with it.

10. grizz49

grizz49 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2012
    Seattle
    RM used to be the gold standard, but that was then. This is now, and a 730 and a TND80 each conked out just after the warranty expired. Then I bought a 300 dashcam, an unmitigated POS that did not work from the day it arrived. It went back for a refund and that went as smoothly as a carpenter's rasp. I will not spend another $.01 on RM, their quality control and customer service have both gone to hell.

I run a RM 765 now because my company requires it, backed up by a Garmin 7" that helps out when the RM gets stuck. The Garmin always works.

Funny story about the TND80. I was southbound on I-5 in Oregon one day, and south of the Cali line was nothing but yellow. No roads, water, cities or terrain. My first thought was "Cool! It actually did fall off!" I was profoundly disappointed when it was just a corrupted state datafile, the first of many.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Or sold to a near peer State.

From what I understand China are not doing well.

I lean towards the Garmin.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.