Recommended GPS

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by jimjam38, Mar 3, 2019.

1. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    I guess people's opinions vary. I definitely won't be getting one that is a tablet. Few years back when I first went OTR, the wife spotted a truck GPS for sale from a guy that was otr but landed a local driving job so he had no use for one. That was my first and last time using a cobra GPS. I thought it odd that a GPS for commercial vehicles had an option in routing to "avoid scales" it lasted about a year then the speaker went out and it actually got hot enough to the touch I thought it would burst into flames.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. doc43204

doc43204 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    OH
    Like any new gadget or technology, the first model or 2 gets it out so people can use it in a real world setting and they can see how it actually holds up. the next model should be better. The tablet is going to be the next big thing I think but like a baby it needs to walk before it can run.

4. All-American82

All-American82 Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    This is MY 2 cents and everybody has an "opinion". Anyhow, My FIRST GPS was a RM 720 (7in) and it worked great for 4 years, then just stopped. I liked it at the time and it was great as a "backup".
    Well, I then got a Garmin DEZI770 and it worked pretty good. BUT, I have had to buy one every year.
    I currently have one sitting on my desk at home and it's always the same thing. About a year after purchase, they just die! No warning, no nothing, just one day, they won't turn back on.
    I'm actually thinking of getting another RM right now. But I think it's the 740(?) I'm hoping it works similar to the 720 (only updated and better). I was looking at the tablets but I just hear to many "horror stories' relating to them. I was wanting the tablets to work, but after 4-5 years, the reviews don't seem any better.
    I guess you just have to find what works best for you. I wish I could recommend Garmin. But, as in my case, $300-400 a year is unreasonable and a ripoff!!!

Good luck!

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I used my tablet for a year with copilot. I had it hung to the overhead compartment so it was out of the sun. I also had the screen dimmed. It still works 4 years later. 10 inches is way too big for my taste though.

I now have an ATT 8 inch tablet. Paid $200 and it has unlimited internet for $20. But I'm local now so no need for gps. My phone works and it's only used for traffic.

6. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    Did you register your Garmin when you got them? Have the software updater installed on your computer? I have always found Garmin tech support to be pretty dang helpful.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  7. RonRonald

RonRonald Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Garmin is the best choice for navigation. In addition, there are some anti-theft truck GPS that are worth considering, I installed them on my vehicle. In my experience, spytec and landairsea are good things.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  8. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    Garmin dezl 780...It gets it wrong much of the time but so do the others...

Verify, verify, verify, and you'll be good.

I know I just responded to an old thread resurrected by a spam post but oh well. :)

MidWest_MacDaddy and Timin770 Thank this.
  9. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    I just a DEZL 785cam a few days ago. So far so good.
    U
    till now I've used Smart Truck Route 2 for about 150K miles, and it's a bit of aca

I like that my phone will be free to be a phone, but learning a new system after being an expert user of the old one is... frustrating.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  10. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Good choice. I have a 780. Had a 770

Blue Zombie Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.