Red light camera

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mahertruck, May 27, 2020.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have a friend that lives there. They have cameras and will issue you a ticket. His girlfriend got one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mahertruck

Mahertruck Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2017

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    So what if your friend or brother were driving the truck? Would you be OK with getting the ticket? What part of needing to be SEEN don't you understand?

5. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Back in 2007 we got these. A community action committee was enacted and I was one of their first members. We actively fought these ticket cameras and won. So believe me, I know more about the legal aspect of these cameras than most people do. Redflex had a couple of these "speed vans" they would move around the city to enforce speed limits. We used to have an online van tracker that would track Redflex's portable vans. It was similar to goog'es reporting of "speed traps" but this was back in 2007 well before Google was anything more than a primitive search engine. We would go out and park our vehicles directly in front of and behind these vans so they would be unable to issue a ticket. One lady got out and confronted one of our committee leaders. He then used his 1 ton truck and pushed the van into a ditch. Others would drive by these vans and throw feces on the back window rendering the camera inop until someone took it to the car wash. Needless to say those vans didn't last long at all.

They don't have to prove you were driving. They run the plate and the registered owner of the vehicle gets the ticket. But since you cannot be liable for a driving infraction that you didn't commit people just weren't paying them. Eventually after about a decade the city pulled them completely. They were NOT real tickets. They were "invoices". You may receive baseless threats. You may receive other notifications that look scary. You may receive collections notices. Even letters from attorneys. They're all bluff. These things are civil violations and cannot be used adversely against you in any way. A machine cannot legally issue a criminal citation.

Should I Pay My Red Light Camera Ticket? No. And Here's Why.

Red-light camera tickets: Do you really have to pay them?

5 Things to Know About Red Light Camera Tickets in California

Everything You Need to Know About Ignoring Red-Light Camera Tickets - LA Weekly

LA County Tickets are Voluntary - No Consequence

It varies by state but in most states it is not a real ticket. It's been ruled unconstitutional in Florida and Texas as you cannot confront your accuser as is required by the constitution of the united states. How do you confront a camera on a pole? How do you cross-examine that thing? How do you confront someone sitting behind a desk reviewing video who was not there and did not see the so-called infraction? How do you defend yourself against an infraction that is weeks old when you finally get the ticket in the mail? When you are stopped by a cop you can argue your case in court and you have the details etched freshly into your memory to fight it. But weeks later? With no indication that you were even going to be ticketed?

https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/editorials/article228219839.html

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    For hopefully the LAST time I am posting a sentence from what YOU posted.

According to California law, a citation can only be issued for a red light camera violation if there is a clear picture of both the driver and the license plate.

This is exactly what I have been saying all along.

7. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
  8. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You do realize that if you have a camera in your truck or car and someone brake checks you, the police can and will issue a ticket to the offending party. So all you are saying goes out the window. Video evidence is real and can be used to issue a ticket.

9. Mahertruck

Mahertruck Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2017
    I was the driver .
    First time happened with me like this if I get something by the mail hope I can fix it because I'm just worry about the points effecting my driving record after this happened

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Here’s the other problem.

You can’t just not pay it if you weren’t the driver. Nonpayment results in registration flags and/suspensions.

11. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    No it does not. You cannot get your license suspended from a non-payment of a camera ticket. I posted numerous websites stating such.

How do they even prove you got it? They don't come in certified mail. You have to sign for a ticket that a cop gives you. You don't sign anything with a camera ticket.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.