RedDirtDriver Goes To Melton

Discussion in 'Melton' started by RedDirtDriver, Apr 19, 2013.

1. RedDirtDriver

RedDirtDriver Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I have now been employed with Melton for a grand total of a whole month, so I thought I would weigh in about my experience so far. My friends and family are also interested in my trucking career so they can check in here as well to read about my account.

A little bit about me: I am 50, have three years experience, had not driven for about 5 years, and got some retraining upon my re-entry into the industry.

I went to orientation in Tulsa, corporate headquarters for the company. In my class of 12, we finished the week with 10. One was sent home due to a truck abandonment at his previous company and the other went home on his own when he decided he did not want to flatbed any longer and got out of the industry altogether. Of the 12, four were brand new students out of trucking school, two were drivers with flatbed experience, one (myself) had older experience, and the rest were a mixture of OTR, local, and dedicated drivers with varying experience.

Orientation went at a fast paced speed and was your usual mixture of classroom presentation, homework, videos, DOT physical, road test, and securement training. The securement training was really two half day periods practicing on a variety of loads and the entire class together tarping two loads.

Orientation started on a Monday and three of the drivers were assigned trucks by the end of the week. If you are a current OTR driver, even though you may have no flatbed experience, you will be assigned a truck by the end of the week.

Since I had not driven for several years, I got to go out with a trainer. I had no problem with this. I thought the securment training was a little light in orientation so I was happy to go out with an experience driver to get some more experience with loads. My trainer was a nice, patient guy with 5 years experience of which almost 3 has been with Melton. He does not go home very often. I believe he went home a grand total of about 15 days last years. He also has a couple of training buddies that stay out for weeks/months at a time and talked to them often. My home time expectations will be much more frequent. Your trainer will be your Mentor with Melton during your career with the company. If you get a truck out of orientation, they will assign a Mentor to you and give you his/her contact number.

After a couple of days, my trainer said he had no concerns about my driving and said the company wants the trainers to set the drivers loose as soon as possible. He was basically ready to set me free after about 3-5 days. I requested him to Slow Play this a bit because I wanted more exposure to loads. I was with him for a couple of weeks and during that time period we had a variety of loads to include fencing, lumber, more fencing, huge water tanks, roofing materials, machinery, and steel coils. I'm glad I got the exposure and felt a lot more confident in securement. I should add that at the end of orientation you are given a handbook and a couple of DVDs to help you out on the securement process. I have not reviewed the DVDs yet, but I have used the handbook.

When it was time for truck assignment, I was dropped off in Dallas and flown to Birmingham to pick up my truck, a 2012 Kenworth with about 150,000 miles. Due to a non-working Qualcomm/Satelitte I have had some issues the last week, so it has been a bit of a cluster. It took trips to three different facilities in three different states to finally get my Qualcomm working, but it is now reportedly fully repaired.

My first load was a 700 mile weekend load with plenty of time to get there and my second load was a 900 mile load with not enough time to get there. I delivered them both safely with minimal problems and am now on home time since I did not get home for the first month. I enjoy the securement process and the exchange with shippers/consignees. The freight is more enjoyable than 'another load of toilet paper.' All my loads with the trainer were easily secured loads in fine weather. The first load on my own was some steel beams that I picked up and secured and threw the tarps on, but then the skies opened up and I finished tarping in a downpour while under a tornado watch. Such is life. The second load, I got the pleasure to pull my tarps off in 40 mph winds. I have found tarping/untarping to be very easy if you have one other person. It can be a bit of a challenge by yourself. I'm sure I'll get better with experience, but I've noticed that the very experienced flatbedders really seem to take their time. I have noticed that many drivers have their own tarps as well and this can be a timesaver due to the size of their tarps/loads it appears to me. I just have the Melton tarp system currently so I will roll with that unless I am lucky to pick up some somewhere. My trainer has had tarps given to him as has one of his friends. I need luck like that.

Pros with the company are the other Melton drivers, equipment, and people. I have been treated respectfully so far. I feel I could have been listened to more when I got my truck assigned to me and could have alleviated some problems, but..such is life. Cons I feel so far are company maintence, load planners, and fueling. Melton wants you to fuel at their requested stops. I would prefer to fuel when I stop or take a break since I could utilize the day better. My previous company used the same software that checks the prices daily for fueling, but you were not REQUIRED to fuel at those stops.

Kicking it at home for a few days. I enjoy flatbedding so far. I like the physical part of it quite a bit. It is not extremely hard phyical work, but it is manual labor. I do feel that I get a bit of a workout. Lots of pushing, pulling, bending, squatting. I go at my own pace and will not rush. If I find myself hurrying, I force myself to slow down. If I can compare it to jobs I've had in the past, it physically feels to me a bit like the construction gopher work I did as a kid or manual labor I did in the military. I'm 50 and I'm not a total Spring Chicken anymore and don't want to injure myself. My driving style is patient, safe, and legal. I have no safety incidents and don't want any in the future.

I'll give you my perspective. This is after all, my perspective, and others may greatly differ. Your success at Melton seems to be greatly influenced by who your DM is. I'll share the good and the bad. So far, I am having a decent experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. safrr

safrr Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2013
    oil patch nd
    Was just wondering if Melton has any loads out to the northwest? I'm in Boise and haven't noticed any Melton trucks out this way.

Thanx for the post

4. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    We do, but we do not hire out of Idaho.

5. safrr

safrr Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2013
    oil patch nd
    awww..........

6. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
  7. brown22607

brown22607 Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Largo, FL
    Great reading RedDirtDriver. I am going to Roadmasters in Tampa, FL next week and when I graduate would like to go with Melton. I have been reading the posts for the past few months from different drivers. I hope they are still hiring grads in FL when I graduate in 3 weeks. :biggrin_25519:

8. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Our 'hiring area' stops at I-4, but there are always exceptions. Is the class 160 hrs long?

9. Triletter

Triletter Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    RedDirtDriver,

Thanks for the report. Looking to make a switch from part time to full time trucking at the end of the summer and Melton is at the top of my list. I am just a couple of years older than you and would like to know what the physical screening process that they put you through. In pretty decent shape (weight wise) and working on some of the strength stuff just to be prepared.

10. burke

burke Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    orlando, FL
    Reddirtdriver

ive completed my first week with my trainer so far. I'm still super pumped about Melton. Been all over Texas so far. My trainer is on home time so I'm hanging out in a hotel in Austin tx till Monday. I have been enjoying the securing and driving till I run out of time. My trainer plans to let me run this week on my own and he is just going to stand off to the side. So hopefully I will be getting an assigned truck this time next week. Super impressed with everything there is about Melton. I jumped thru 90 miles of rings on fire to get in here, lol, so I'm very satisfied with whatever they give me or throw at me lol.

My orientation was a lot like yours too. 16 guys in and 10 out. 4 guys were from other company's. 2 guys I thought were very questionable in my opinion. But hopefully they are getting on well. It seemed like they were dropping like flies lol. Melton is somewhat picky with their requirements. Your better know how to drive or should I say shift gears. If you can't you will get whacked.

Anyway I'm from Florida and I'm very happy with my whole experience thus far. No hurry with my trainer. Just keeping an open mind and taking my whole experience as a learning process.
    I was in Laredo Texas for 2 days last week. Kinda bored hanging out at the terminal. So started helping other drivers secure their loads. Melton helps Melton. It goes a thousand miles. Make friends real fast if u just step up.

11. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Physical part really wasnt that bad. They want to see if you're able to lift tarps properly, 3 different weights, with the lightest going over your head and the heaviest to your shoulder. I think heaviest is 100 pounds? I can't remember. You will also have to do a balance test, standing on one foot for 30 seconds without wobbling too severely. Other than that, it's just a normal physical.

Triletter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.