RedDirtDriver Goes To Melton

Discussion in 'Melton' started by RedDirtDriver, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Triletter

Triletter Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Noggin, thanks for the info. Looking like I am about 30 days out from applying and, depending on how it all goes, would like to start in later August. I have zero violations in my 4 wheel or trucking life so I think it all should work out for being employed by Melton. Feel an obligation to my current company since they took a totally green straight from CDL school guy and let me drive on a part time basis. They would normally lose me at the end of August, sooooo if it all goes well, they get something from me and I get some experience from them. Then it is learning securing, tarping and how to back a split axle trailer. Looking forward to the journey!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BDJ

BDJ Light Load Member

May 21, 2013
    Memphis,TN
    When a new driver is assigned to a trainer and the trainer goes home for the weekend does the student driver have to pay his own hotel for the weekend?

4. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Im pretty sure melton will pay for it. Most trainers won't go home while they have a student anyways, they'll plan their home time accordinly.

Most....

5. burke

burke Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    orlando, FL
    My trainer already had home time scheduled when I got with him. Money was tight for me so he paid for the hotel and Melton reimbursed him. He said they would have reimbursed me but I couldn't swing it, lol

6. Lady_Medusa_03

Lady_Medusa_03 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Forest City Pa
    I have driven for Melton for 7 months now and it feels like it's been much shorter, after having come from cre I was hesitant, but am very very happy here, I have no interest in leaving here, so much so that I just adopted a dog knowing other companies won't let me keep her. I consider Melton my extended family, there's never a shortage of help from other drivers, doesn't matter if your male or female, here I don't feel like a chick I feel like a driver, even when it comes to the other drivers they treat me like one of their own not an outsider. I've had no problem getting home when asked or getting them to push my home time back which I just had to do this week. this is the first place I have worked for I actually buy their branded appearal and I know it don't sound like much but for me that says a lot. I take pride in the fact I drive a blue truck with melton printed on the side. as far as the hotel reimbursement I've never had to fight for my reimbursements they are given back before I even have a chance to remember that I had them out there. I quite frequently have to answer questions such as wether or not this is harder for me or a guy, my response is simply this I deserve no more attention than the dude beside me as we both do the same job. I deserve no more respect or flack than the guy beside me, I can sit down here and be one of the guys I've not had any dis respect here. we have a very good awesome group of drivers. ya'll made a good choice with melton.

Jake Elliott, brown22607 and jomar68 Thank this.
  7. Wanderingaimlessly

Wanderingaimlessly Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Being a former cre myself I am considering Melton. From all I have read they seem to treat drivers with the respect anyone else deserves. Nice to hear, hard to believe. Do they have apu's on the trucks? I hope they don't have opti idle. Opti idle has got to be the worst thing to deal with while sleeping. Do they hire out of so cal?

8. Lady_Medusa_03

Lady_Medusa_03 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Forest City Pa
    Wandering I think we do hire from south cal and yes we have apu. When I started looking at flatbed I found melton hard to believe too. But talk to some of our drivers on the road. Ask them how long they have worked for us. They will tell you whats up, id be shocked if they tell u the complete opposite of ehat youve read here in these threads. Guys I'm not getting paid for this either. Trust me I know what I sound like but its true. My recruiters never lied to me. Well recruiter.

9. RedDirtDriver

RedDirtDriver Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I thought I had written an update when I left Melton, but I guess I didn't, so here goes.

I was with Melton for about six months and a serious personal issue at home forced me back home. If what happened at home had not have happened, I would have never left. My DM was very understanding and helpful through the personal issue and I left on good terms. I still get phone calls, cards and letters asking me to come back to Melton.

After I left Melton, I delivered fuel with a tractor trailer within the confines of Oklahoma for about six months. I had to stop doing that due to a freaking medical condition. For a year now, I have been working for a major big box retailer in a non-driving position.

I thought I summed up Melton pretty well in my original post. The pros for the company are the other drivers and the equipment. I found Melton drivers a bit of a pack and helpful at shippers, consignees and truck stops. I was told by staff at a customer more than once that Melton helps Melton out all the time and they do not see that with other companies. The equipment was awesome and the trucks were awesome and the trailers were awesome. If you have never worked with sketchy equipment, you have no idea how important having good equipment is. Do not underestimate this. It can make the job much more enjoyable.

I felt I made good money at Melton and I'm sure I would have continued to do so. If I had a light week it was always followed with a good week. I didn't have to deliver much on weekends and I darn sure didn't do any middle of the night deliveries like you do with other segments of the industry.

The cons I found were...not many. It seems like the maintenance took too long for a company like Melton, but that is just the way it was at the time. It may be better now. I would stay out for about 3.5 weeks before home time. I was always amazed at how long some Melton drivers stay out. Weeks and months. I was always running into these drivers and was always amazed at the length of time they stayed out. The home time expectations are certainly manageable, but I would have liked better home time. The industry has changed in regard to home time, so I don't know what Melton expectations are now. I was never hassled about my home time or anything. I would have just liked it more frequent.

I was also in Tulsa quite a bit seemed like. I knew this would be the case since I am from Oklahoma City. I was going to put one of my cars at the terminal for use had I stayed and that would have made some of that Tulsa down time more manageable. I hate sitting around.

All in all, Melton is a good company and I highly recommend. I am considering driving again because I'm not making what I consider a good living right now. If I jump back into the industry, I will likely try to jump back into Melton before any other company.

sgt50 and Pungent Sauce Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.